Accessing old HD with an old OS on it to save some data

Status
Not open for further replies.
hopefully, i can say this clearly enough. :)

the hd from an old computer was removed and i want to take the mp3's from it and transfer them on to the new computer's hd. the old hd has an OS (windows) on it, the new hd is running Win XP.

the old hd is set to slave and is reckognized by WinXP. disk management says that it is both 'healthy' and 'active', however, it has not been assigned a drive letter. the only available right click options for it are 'delete partition' and 'help'. this old hd is 'fat32' and the new one is 'NTFS".

so, i have no apparent way to access the old hd in order to transfer the mp3's on to the new hd. of course, there are obvious methods to get around the issue, but i am interested in knowing if there is a way to attack this thing head on.

-----------------------
perhaps the following has a similar solution. i have a sata hd. i disable it and proceed to (hot) unplug it. then i plug it back in. how do i then ENable it? you see, if i don't disable it and remove it, then plug it back in, it works fine. i just happened to read that cached data could be lost if you don't disable it 1st. btw, i am still a bit paranoid about the whole proceedure, so if anyone does this frequently (without a drive bay), i'd love to know about it.

thank you for your help!

got to setting/control panel/administrave tool /computer management
disk management see if it shows up here, if so,right click on the drive box, assign a drive letter
if that does not get it
try a disk management utility trial version see if it will assign a letter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back