Accidentally bent some CPU pins

Bluebarry

I accidentally pulled out my CPU chip when I was cleaning my heatsink from dust. I didn't notice the chip was still stuck to the heatsink, so when I tried putting it back in I bent some pins.

I've been working for hours now straightening them with a pair of tweezers and a credit card. I tried it once already but it was a no go. My biggest problem is I get a no signal on my screen (TV). (Note, I am using a HDMI connection and I do NOT have a HDMI port straight to my motherboard, only my ATI Graphics Card)

So should I be able to get it to work again, other then the no signal I notice I can not turn off my computer by holding the power button so that doesnt work either. I also broke off a couple pins but managed to save them, will I be able to get those back in?

Thanks a bunch! I really need help!

You're gonna need a new CPU. Every single one of those pins need to be present.

If you're really pro I think it'll work if you solder them back on.
But you have to be a good jeweler or something to have a chance.
You should just buy a new CPU but I guess if you're desperate you can just try to shove the pins in and hope it works.
Next option (I am making these up) is to bring out your hair dryer, solder paste, and tiny syringe and hope for the best :)

If you inserted the broken pin bits into the socket, you have also managed to ruin your motherboard.

That's a real bummer - next time when you are just dusting off the heat sink\fan assy there's not really any need to remove it from the unit. Just take compressed air, take the machine outside, and blow away! I'd only ever take one out to do a repaste job.

Also, it sounds like maybe you are just starting out in the wonderful world of DiY maintenance and repair? If you aren't sure about a procedure, this forum is a great place to ask the pros how they do things. It might help you avoid damaging components in the future. Sorry you hurt your CPU - hopefully you can get those pins out of the mobo and get a replacement CPU cheap.

I have bent pins on a CPU before but was able to straighten them without breaking them. It was a real pain in the butt to do. I would rather buy another CPU then try to straighten pins again.

Wait... Are we all confused here, or just me? MOBO's have pins, CPU's don't (if we're talking any kind of recent hardware).

MOBO's have pins, CPU's don't (if we're talking any kind of recent hardware).
This is true for Intel but not AMD. AMD still has pins on the CPU.
socket_fm1_vs._socket_fm2.jpg

Back