Accidentally moved files

Status
Not open for further replies.

yosemsam

Hello everyone,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I have recently moved files from my internal hard drive to an external hard drive and reformed my internal hard drive. Recently, i was searching for the files on my external hard drive and can't find them; i'm still baffled as to why they're not there (most likely due to damaged sectors).

How should i approach the problem of recovering the files? Should i try to recover them from the internal hard drive (which were moved and then reformatted) or the external one (technically should be still there).

I have tried software like VirtualLab Data recovery, boomerang, total recall, etc. with no luck. VirtualLab successfully found the files that were overwritted as a result of reformat, but did not find the files that were moved prior to reformat.

Lastly, should i use software to solve this problem or is it best to fork over my hard drive to an expert.

-Sam.

PS: I heard from somewhere that moving files is the equivalent of copying the files and then deleting them on a hardware level. Thus, if i moved the files, there's an equal chance of getting them back as if i deleted them. Can someone confirm this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back