Account will not load from Welcome Screen after 'Switch User'

By sagapo3851
Jan 12, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hey all,
    I just formatted my drive two weeks ago to finally fix all the problems I had and get my computer fully functioning again. I backed everything up to an external drive that stays plugged in. I've installed most of my basic programs back on, but as of a few days ago (actually, just after I finished Windows Updating), there's been a problem.
    Everything works perfectly until I either Switch Users (Win+L), or leave my computer alone for twenty minutes, which on resuming, I get to the same screen as if I switched users. I get back to the Welcome Screen, with my account already logged on. I type in my password, and it begins to log back on to my account, but only gets as far as loading my desktop background. Then it freezes and I have to hard-shutdown.
    My only idea was a Search Index that I got from Windows Update. It's something I got on here that I didn't have pre-format. I've tried deleting the source process and the process tree, but no use. I still can't log back on regardless of what programs I have open, if any at all.
    Any ideas?
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,673   +152

Did the Windows version activate properly after the format and reinstall?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.