Acer Aspire 3050 laptop will not turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatesbluescreen

Hi! I have an ACER Aspire 3050 for some reason will not turn on. No lights, no fan, absolutaly nothing will happen. The laptop isn't actually mine, its a friends. I shake it from side to side a little and I can hear a tinking sound like something is loose. I'm going to try and open it up to see if this is the case but if its not, is there any other reason why it just randomly won't turn on anymore?

Thanks for any help!

I think it's best we wait for your reply to what's loose inside!

Make sure battery and power adaptor out
And also hold down the ON button (to disperse all internal voltage)

OK! I have found the problem! It just so happens that the plug in on the laptop for the charger is broken! What a surprise... lol. The little metle rod thing that is in the middle of the hole for the plug in is broken off but I can still see it inside the laptop. So now I have to try and open it up and get to it.
But theres a problem...
I took all of the screws out of the bottom but for some reason the middle won't come up. From what I can see I've taken out all of the screws. Am I missing something?

Re-confirming all screws are out
The case needs to be pryed apart (ie held in by clips) This part is sensitive, ie don't break the case

You can also google Acer Aspire 3050 dissasemble I did but the first few pages didn't help, but I know it must be there (a dissamble guide) if you need it.

I actually found out that I might have to take the keyboard off because there are screws that might be under it. I have an idea on how to do it but I'm only getting directions on how to do it with other models not an Aspire 3050... But i'll just have to tinker with it
I guess.
Sucks that I have to do this just to fix one small thing. Almost like fixing a car. lol!
I'll see what I can do and post my results.

I had this stupid laptop last week, that the hdd was internal to the laptop (ie no underneath door)
Took me over an hour to make sure everything was perfect (I don't like breaking things) The Ram was inside too!

Wow this thing is complicated! I literaly have to almost take the whole thing apart to get to this!
I have ONE SCREW to take out so I can get the bottom off but the top is covering that one screw.
The thing I'm trying to get at looks like the "power supplie" for the laptop but it looks more like a PCI card or something like that. It has 2 USB slots on it, the connection for the charger (Broken) and the connection for the battery.
I have no clue what its called. I did however get some info off of it.

HannStar J MG-4 94V-0

I really need to take it out for me to see exactally what it is.
Do you have any idea what this thing is called? If I could find out what the thing is called it would make searching for one alot easier...

BTW, this laptop was baught off of Newegg.com so I think it was customized, but I'm not sure...

-----------------------
So the hdd was under the bottom cover of the laptop, not under the door you unscrew? Dang, that had to have been annoying! Yeah I don't like breaking things eaither. lol!

HannStar is to do with the LCD screen, probably power converter or something
HannStar is also a company and website, but I couldn't find that part number

Yeah, I couldn't find it eaither...
Do you think Best Buy or Circuit City would have that kind of a part? If they do would I be able to use a different brand of the part if they don't have the same brand I have?

I would just super glue the piece back on but I don't know if the heat from the laptop would be to much and melt the glue, which wouldn't be a good thing...

Keep In Mind, As Well.....

.....that if that part is, indeed, the power supply plug, it's probably a soldered connection to the motherboard.....in which case you have to be "very" careful with what you're doing. Glue won't work...the chemicals will react with some components on the motherboard....it needs to be re-soldered with an iron suitable for electronics...can't be too hot.

I guess, at this point, if you want to attempt it yourself (if you can find the part) is to make sure that if you damage it beyond repair that it's truly disposable and your friend doesn't need it.

I haven't replaced these on any Acers but have on Sony and HP....assuming some similarities.

Hope this helps somewhat.

I finally got the piece out of the laptop (what a job...). But from looking at it I really don't think that its repairable... The piece that broke off is plastic not metal. And also if I do attempt to fix it myself I don't want to take the risk of putting it back in, putting the whole laptop together and having it not work. I really just want to get a brand new piece put it back in and leave it at that. lol!
And the piece does look pritty unrepairable. Its that little metle rod thing that goes into the charger. Theres plastic around it and thats whats broken. I think my friend or somebody else must have jammed the charger in the hole and broke it off...

I'm going to go to Best Buy tonight and see what I can find.

Well I went to Best Buy and found nothing. The guy I talked to there said that the only place I would be able to find the part is online...

Keep searching and also the manufactures (theirs two Acer and HannStar)

But can you upload up pic of the dammage, so we can see the fault?

Its actually called a power board...I have the same model, and have the same problem...and the thing is a pain to take apart

Do you mean the "power board" converter board?
And where's my pic?

Maybe USMC0656 could attach
attach.gif
a small pic (under 100kb) or provide a link to it (like from TinyPic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back