My sister "inherited" a used Acer Aspire 5610z from a friend of hers. It was not at all well maintained, so I decided the best thing to do would be to wipe it clean and install Windows XP (I had a copy of XP already). I had a few hang ups finding drivers, but after some work I got everything functioning correctly. When I finally got it working, the battery would not hold a charge for more than about ten minutes. it worked fine while plugged in, but once unplugged, the battery drained quickly. I charged it for an entire night after I finished the downgrade, and it still would not hold a charge, so I'm assuming the battery is shot. And now today the laptop will not turn on at all, even when plugged into a power source. It worked fine as recently as last night, but now the power indicator comes on for about a second and then turns back off. A few things: I'm pretty sure the previous owner of this laptop did not maintain it very well at all, and hardly ever used it, so the battery was hardly ever charged. I don't know if this makes a difference. When he gave it to her, he did not have the original charger, so I had to buy one online. The power supply I bought gets very hot when it's connected. Again, I don't know if this makes a difference, but I found it odd. I read somewhere that I should remove the battery and the power supply, hold the power button for 30 seconds, re-insert the main power, power on the computer, and insert the battery. I followed those steps, but they did not work. I suspect the battery is just shot. But before I go and drop $100 on a new battery, I would like to make sure there is nothing else I can do. I apologize for the lengthy post, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.