TechSpot

Acer Aspire 5740G keyboard confusion

By adammac
Mar 27, 2010
  1. On my new 5740G laptop, when I press either the `/~ key or the '/" key, the first time nothing happens, then the second time a pair of the characters appear. Dont know if I have mistakenly activated something or not, any ideas would be much appreciated, many thanks, Mac

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,984   +168

Are these the only keys affected?

3. adammac

adammac TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi, thanks for your reply

Yes, these seem to be the only two keys affected

4. mraja99

mraja99 TS Rookie

My Acer 5740G purchased from Croma Mumbai also developed a keyboard problem within 3 months of purchase. Caps Lock, Num Lock , and some alphabet keys like q,a,p,o,1 and numeric keys 1, 0 and function keys Tab and Ctrl stopped functioning. I tried leaning the key board with a mini vaccum cleaner ( hand held type running on AA batteries) . Nothing worked. I took it to the Acer Service Centre In Vashi . They said the keyboard required replacement and I said OK. After a few days I get a call from them that the key board is not available. I am now stuck with an ACER 5740 G for which I paid Rs 47,840/- .

People should stop buying Acer Laptops as I am now going thru a nightmare. Fortunately I do have 2 more laptops. I hope Acer does something to improve their products / service / parts availability.

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,984   +168

This Acer keyboard is available on Ebay for around $20... I know you are not in the USA, but just know you are not stuck with a bad keyboard. They are easy to replace

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.