Acer Aspire 7741g screen is not working

Darrenbilly

Firstly, happy new year all

I switched my Acer Aspire 7741g on earlier, got to the desktop screen, the laptop then restarted itself because it had updated, I waited for it to get back to the log in screen, at which point I heard the normal alert to say I was there, but the screen was still black.... I restarted it and unplugged it, left it for a while... Turned it on and again the screen is still not working. I'm on it right now, but have it hooked up to a computer monitor. Everything seems to be working fine, except for that.

I'm not sure if I'm right in saying this, but it also seems quieter... The fans aren't whirring like they normally do. And I'm sure that there is normally a blue ring around the power button that is not there presently.

I'm stumped... Any ideas? I don't want to have to send it off to Knowhow and get one of their crappy laptops while they try and fix it, if there is something I can do/try first.

Thanks v much in advance.

Darren

There is a device about the size of a five or six inch pencil at the back or bottom of your screen... called an inverter. It supplies the inverted image to the monitor. These have a tendency to burn out after a year or two in that model... they are not expensive... about seven dollars to a licensed tech, or perhaps $25 on eBay.

You have to remove all the screws around the monitor... then you unplug the defective one, and install a new one by plugging it in.

The hard part is removing all the screw covers carefully enough, then keeping track of all the screw sizes and where they go, then installing everything once the new Inverter is in.

The first one takes most folks two hours... after you have done a couple, perhaps 20 to 25 minutes. Of find a friendly tech who knows Acer and where to order the part..

Back