Acer Aspire AX1200 won't boot

My son's Acer Aspire AX1200 desktop will not boot when powered on. When power cord is connected and power switch is pressed it acts as if it were starting normally, blue light comes on, fan starts up... then a couple of seconds later it powers off. If the power cord is left connected, it then repeats this cycle.... blue light comes on, fan starts up...hear normal start up noises... then power goes off... and so on.

I have searched for a solution to this issue and became convinced it was the power supply on its way out. So I order a new unit and replaced the power supply. This did not work. The PC behaves the same way and refuses to boot.

Any suggestions or clues to what is going on would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Are all the of the screws on the standoffs securely fashioned? It could be a short somewhere.

3849037491_e07b59477b.jpg

You could take the whole thing out of the case and put it on a table, and try to boot it.

Thanks a lot for your reply and for taking the time to post a pic.

By the standoffs I assume you mean the screws holding the motherboard to the case? That's something I can try as soon as I get home (I had to go out of town until Friday). It's worth a shot.

As for taking the whole thing out of the case and trying to boot it... I'm not totally comfortable doing that, but I'll give it a try.

The computer was working just fine, then last week the screen suddenly went blue and the power started cycling on and off as I described.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Still stuck ... any ideas anyone?

OK. So far I have replaced the power supply with a new unit,
Checked all the standoff screws.
Blown out everywhere possible with compressed air aerosol.

The problem is still there. Press power on, the blue light comes on the fan starts for maybe a second or two, then everything powers down.... then it cycles again... blue light comes on, fan starts up... then everything powers down... etc..etc. continuously until we disconnect the power cord.

I started removing components one by one. Reconnecting the power cord and trying the power on switch each time to see if any difference. Same thing every time.

I removed DVD/CD drive.
I removed hard drive.
I removed memory cards, one by one.

No difference to the power-on/power-off cycling.

I don't know what to try next.... any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

check power micro switch

I realize that this comes months too late for the original post...
I had the same problem. With my Acer AX1200 the problem turned out to be a stuck microswitch. Essentially it got stuck in the "pressed" position, so it continually thought you wanted to do a hard reset. Hence the cycling...
To get to the switch you need to remove the case and then pry the front cover off (carefully!)
You will see a tiny switch on a bracket under where that black plastic lever at the top for the power is. That whole switch is kind of funky and I wish I saw an easy way to replace it with something totally different, but if you play around with it a bit you should be able to "unstick" it.
Anyway... give it a try unless you ended up finding that yours was a different problem.

Windows XP over Window 7

I have installed windows 7 and i want to switch back to windows XP.But I am not able to install it.All the time it
gives a blue screen and says the harddrive might be curropted or there might be virus.This is being happening
after the installation of windows 7.
I formatted the drive once even then the same problem.

Back