Acer Aspire One 11.6" netbook review

Julio Franco

Staff member
Acer Aspire One 11.6" netbook review

Today we'll be looking at what I consider a third generation netbook, the Acer Aspire One 751h. This new model from Acer features a larger, 11.6" HD resolution screen and a full size keyboard - among other improvements. A more generous 6-cell battery combined with a slightly slower clocked Atom processor promises increased battery life as well.

Read the full review at:
https://www.techspot.com/review/184-acer-aspire-one-751h/

Please leave your feedback here.

The 751h is 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Bigger keyboard and display are great, slower processor and stuck with XP, crappy.
Spend $100 more and get the new Acer Aspire 1410. 11.6" display, full size keyboard. You will get a much faster processor, 2 GB of ram (upgradeable to 4!), 250 GB HD, and a free upgrade to Windows 7. While you'll have to suffer with Vista until October when Win 7 comes out, you will have a much better machine, with the same form factor and weight!
The 11.6" king is dead! Long live the king!

I have owned the Asus 751h for a little over 2 month now. My netbook features a 11.6" screen, 3 cell battery, 2 gig ram, and a 250gig hard drive. Has integrated video with a max resolution of 1366x768. It also came with Vista Home Basic.
Once I got it, I immediately went to work and removed all the limited time software like McAfee and Microsoft Office. I also removed Google Desktop which was dragging down performance. It came with Microsoft Works and Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 which I left alone. I ended up installing free software like OpenOffice and Microsoft Anti-Virus. It came with a 3 cell battery and thinking about upgrading to a 6 cell.
Good Points:
1) Light and very easy to carry around
2) Battery life is good, was able to get a little over 4 hours.
Drawbacks:
1) Limited time software installed
2) Google Desktop installed, dragging down performance
3) Power cable pops out of the socket all the time
4) One mouse button instead of the normal 2. Mouse button is also stiff.
5) The black finish on the keyboard is a fingerprint collector
Even with the drawbacks, it's a great little laptop to have around.

Does anyone know if the new Acer Aspire being sold by Wal-Mart and HSN that
is 11.6" in width, 3 cell battery and is 250 GB hard drive and with a 2 gb RAM, is the RAM
possibly upgradeable to a higher ram like may 3 or 4 RAM?

I have a new Acer One Aspire with 11.6 inch screen. I have had it for two weeks, now it won't start up, no screen, just makes a noise and then shuts down. What is going on? Can someone help me?

@Guest from today: You probably wont get much help from the review thread. I'd suggest signing up and posting in the appropriate tech support thread. I'm sure someone will be able to give you some worthwhile advice :)

You won't get much help from ACER either. Their service is very poor.

"I have owned the Asus 751h for a little over 2 month now. My netbook features a 11.6" screen, 3 cell battery, 2 gig ram, and a 250gig hard drive. Has integrated video with a max resolution of 1366x768. It also came with Vista Home Basic.
Once I got it, I immediately went to work and removed all the limited time software like McAfee and Microsoft Office. I also removed Google Desktop which was dragging down performance. It came with Microsoft Works and Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 which I left alone. I ended up installing free software like OpenOffice and Microsoft Anti-Virus. It came with a 3 cell battery and thinking about upgrading to a 6 cell.
Good Points:
1) Light and very easy to carry around
2) Battery life is good, was able to get a little over 4 hours.
Drawbacks:
1) Limited time software installed
2) Google Desktop installed, dragging down performance
3) Power cable pops out of the socket all the time
4) One mouse button instead of the normal 2. Mouse button is also stiff.
5) The black finish on the keyboard is a fingerprint collector
Even with the drawbacks, it's a great little laptop to have around."

:D i have that same computer. i dont really know why it came with powerDVD 8 though, there is no disc drive. i did the same thing you did exept left google desktop alone. i also downloaded Ccleaner which finds unnecessary items and temparary files, to speed up the computer. good luck, happy computing, byeee.

I have the A0751 h version of the 11.6" with XP. The machine works well but the bundled software is a nightmare. The Web Cam crashes Movie Maker and the software supplied for the web cam provides nothing but snap a picture(when it works). I've encountered many other issues including the DVD software supplied. Worthless! The worse thing about this product is the total lack of support. ACER blames 3rd party vendors for all the problems even though ACER bundles and ships with software. The downloads provided on their site to "fix" problems don't recognize their hardware. They will be happy to "talk" and maybe fix the problem a fee. If you want a netbook that comes with support try another manufacturer.

I am from the Philippines, I have my acer ao751 11.6" for about two months now.. I bought it in Australia and it really works well for me. Im happy that I chose this netbook, very handy,slim and fashionable for a college girl like me. encouraging everyone to buy it..

I've been using the Acer Aspire One Notebook for more than 9 months now and it hasn't given me any kind of trouble. I simply love it. I personally think this is a job very well done by acer. If u want something economical and compact with all the essential features in it, this is the best choice to go for.

I bought my Acer netbook 11.6 inch screen last July and I lOVE IT!!! It is very compact. The picture I have is like HD!! i bought a LG Super MUlti Drive to watch movies and burn cd's, that was the best purchas next to to the Acer netbook I got. The movies and sound quality on the netbook is awesome. When I play movies from the mulit Drive my netbook's picture is total HD!! The movie looks so perfect and crisp and clear I love it. My 22 inch monitor from my Acer desktop does not show as clear picture as the netbook. I watch all my movies and play all my cd's on my netbook!! I photograph and i download all my pics to my netbook and print them out. All my pics look like post cards that is how clear the netbook prints out pics!!! I am alwyas telling my friends about my Acer netbook. I like the big keys too that is another plus. This netbook fits my life style perfect, I am 40 years old, so do not think you are too old for this awesome computer. I did not like those big old lunky laptops they are too much of a hassle. This is PERFECT!! Thank You Acer!!!!

I bought the Acer Aspire One 751H with 11.6 inch of HD screen primarily because it was cheap. Although the reviews i've read was not encouraging I still decided to get One. I installed the XP and then installed within XP the Jolicloud Linux operating system. I can say that my experience with the Aspire One and Jolicloud has been great so far. All the hardware on the netbook works, bluetooth included. I intend to increase the RAM to 2Gb and replace the HDD with an SSD to further improve performance. I think despite the 1.3Ghz that it has, performance can be significantly improve with the added or replaced hardware such as RAM and SSD. I love the screen screen size, keyboard, 6 cell battery, bluetooth, thin form of the netbook and the overall look of it. At only $398.00 for the black color ($319.00 after ACER rebate) this netbook is a steal. I hardly use XP these days coz Jolicloud Linux is much more interesting to use. There is enough software to play with for FREE. No OS license to worry about because the OS is FREE to download as well. Jolicloud also make my Acer Aspire One 751H look more like a real computer.

Back