Acer Aspire S7 Review: A Classy, Touchable Ultrabook

Jos

Staff
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/627-acer-aspire-s7/]https://www.techspot.com/review/627-acer-aspire-s7/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Just too dang expensive. I can buy an i7 laptop with a 15.6" screen, 6GB RAM, 750GB HD, yadda, yadda, yadda for $700.

TomSEA Depends on the user. I don't need a 15" desktop replacement (no SSD??) but a 13-incher that is lightweight and well built. The touch panel is a bonus and because it's IPS the screen quality/color reproduction must be good. It's a shame about the trackpad though, a deal breaker.

The problem with this is Windows8. It could work on a tablet (not a fan of tiles, tough).
Reaching over to a touchscreen is akward and uneasy. It's only there because Microsoft pushes the crappy Metro interface to leverage a common user interface to enter the tablet space. However, productivity task will continue using trackpads and mouse.

I do like this ultrabook, but I doubt the screen quality even this ultrabook use IPS.. I mean Acer is well-known for their not-too-good-screen-quality. I hope the screen quality isn't that disappointing..

Let me hear this right, 4GB memory on a $1,400 laptop and 256GB drive using a RAID 0 of all things.

Using a RAID 0 on a laptop is beyond stupid because if ONE disk goes, so does ALL of your data and with SSD's you won't see the difference between RAID and non-RAID configuration.

I bought one in December, I must say it's an incredible laptop despite the battery life and some problems with the WiFi that I've already fixed (thankfully) it feels very solid.

To the comment that says RAID 0 SSD is beyond stupid. The same SSD (LiteOn) in single only configuration gets a 7.8 Windows experience index, but goes up to 8.3 in RAID 0. So this point is not true. The failure rate of SSD is so low that I do not think there is much risk in doubling up here. The main point Acer were aiming for is rapid boot. This thing has one of the fastest boot-up times of any portable, high-end laptop, netbook etc.

The only criticism I have is the 4GB (which is soldered in). It should have been 8GB.

I bought the Acer Aspire S7 from the Microsoft store in Toronto, after using for a week I realized that the internal battery only lasted between 3 to 4 hours, I went back to the Microsoft store to buy the external add-on battery pack, I was told they do not carry any Acer products other than the laptops, they told me to buy it on Acers web site.
That is when I went into Acers spin cycle. The Canadian web site does not carry it, the American web site will not ship to Canada. The emails I sent to Acer asking about the external battery add-on came back telling me that that battery was still under warranty & to send my laptop in to be repaired. I called them up in the USA & was told they can not ship to Canada, but to call their tech number & they could sell me the battery & ship it to Canada. After 45 minutes talking to Daisy in tech support I was told she can not ship to Canada. I then went to Acer Canada's head office, where they gave me a 1-800 number to call, it was some authorized company in Canada & he said he would ask Acer in Texas if they had the battery, I never heard back from him. The moral of the story is I should have bought a Mac Book

Back