TechSpot

Acer Chairman optimistic about Windows 8 and the future of Ultrabooks

By Shawn Knight
Apr 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Acer is optimistic about the second half of 2012 as the launch of Windows 8 slowly approaches. The company is hoping the operating system paired with new Ultrabooks will help...

Read the whole story

2. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 900   +239

The world will switch to Ultrabooks at thier own pace.
    As in, when they need a new laptop.

Most people aren't going to switch just because they are thinner and lighter.
    As far as Acer, I like them. They make good products, but they don't have the track record and quality associated with thier name like DELL does.

DELL's XPS laptop's are very popular and helping them gain ground with users again.
    DELL is also going where the real core of the industry is, which is business/enterprise networking.
    They aren't so concerned with the basic user anymore.

No service tag? No help.

3. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 747   +235

So their selling an Aspire S3 at cost. How exactly will that help move ultrabooks? A handful of people who might otherwise not have upgraded their laptops will buy them at $799...and that's what they'll expect ultras to cost form that point on. Why can't the industry see what the customer so clearly can? The mass market will support three types of mobile computers: Dirt-cheap netbooks, high-end laptops with GPUs good enough for last year's games and - wait for it - <b>tablets with hideaway keyboards/cursor controls</b>. YES, I mean attached, always-available keyboards, not stupid docks and other expensive s#*t that nobody except iSheep will pay for. That's the only way you get real interest in a non-Apple tablet. Whoever has the guts to produce something like a big HTC Tilt 2 with a trackpad and decent specs, and the smarts to price it at under $450, will see terrific volume.

4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,965   +389

am i the only person that likes a thicker, more durable laptop (not as in shockproof, but as in a standard laptop)?

5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,967   +955

You're asking the wrong person here, as I don't even like laptops.......Surely you gotta admit, them thar skinny, made outta tinfoil lappys, makes ya look swavey an' dee-boy-ner, so's ya stands a better chance o' pickin' up gurlz..........

6. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TS Booster Posts: 808   +51

That's so colony-esque....

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.