Acer expected to sell 3 million laptops on the cheap in Europe

Emil

Staff

Acer reportedly has huge amounts of unsold laptop stock to shift in Europe: more than 3 million units. As a result, the Taiwanese giant wants to quickly sell these devices before they become outdated. It's still unknown what the prices will be like, but they are expected to be quite competitive.

The negotiations with large retailers have already started: a spokesman at Dixons Retail told The Register: "We are aware [of the Acer situation] and awaiting more detail before making any decisions." It's important to note that this is not a price war: think of it more as a temporary sale to get rid of extra inventory. Unsurprisingly, Acer has not commented on the speculation of its extra stock.

Two months ago, we reported that Acer was ramping down production of its Aspire One netbooks to focus on manufacturing tablets. The Taiwanese system builder set an aggressive production target for April 2011, ordering 400,000 to 500,000 10.1-inch touchscreens for the month. Although Acer is scaling down its netbook production and it expects its PC shipments to fall, the company still intends to crank out traditional notebooks at the usual pace.

Earlier this year, there was talk that Acer would be phasing out netbooks for tablets. The company quickly issued a statement saying that tablets will not be replacing netbooks. Here is the full statement:

According to recent statement from Sales Manager based in Taiwan, Acer Inc. confirms that the company will not phase out netbooks in favor of tablets. Acer recognizes that the computer market is changing. As PCs are no longer only used to create content but are more and more becoming consumption tools, new devices and new form factors are appearing. This means the range of devices available to users is getting wider and tablets are just another piece of the mosaic. Therefore, they will find their space next to netbooks and notebooks.

Despite this, it seems that Acer is very much refocusing its efforts on notebooks and tablets, and leaving netbooks by the wayside. Although tablets may not be replacing netbooks completely, it only makes sense they are cutting in to sales, if only just a little bit.

Permalink to story.

trillionsin said:
dotvezz said:
I'm torn between tablets and netbooks. I own neither, and I want both.

why would you want a netbook? as far as ive seen they are cheap pieces of crap

I completely and utterly disagree.
Sure, you aren't gonna be running things like Crysis, but it does virtually everything on the web, plays a surprising number of old games, is extremely portable, has a huge battery life, and is really really cheap.

I find netbooks amazing havent had the oportunity to own a tablet yet. Cheap pieces of crap? Why? They are meant to be cheap for one, but certainly are not crap they are used as its name sugests (NETbooks).

I'm torn between tablets and netbooks. I own neither, and I want both.

Tablets are nice because of their ultra-thin form factor. Think of a tablet as a large smartphone. Its a great portable device, but it is not a PC. They are great for general web surfing in bed, on the couch, etc.. but they are pretty much useless if you actually want to type anything more than a few words.

Netbooks are nice because they give you a small (but still usable) size, and include a real keyboard. The 7" netbooks are very portable, but have very tiny keys that can be too small for some. Many 10" netbooks offer almost full sized keys (they are just cramped tighter together).

Personally, I bought an EeePC701 when they first came out a few years ago. It was a fun novelty at the time, but it wasn't very usable. About a year ago I wanted to upgrade to a "useable" netbook but was also in the market for a new laptop to replace my ancient Dell Inspiron 8000. I compromised between the two and bought an Alienware M11X (a full power gaming laptop that is only slightly larger than a 10" netbook). Great little machine.

:)

Back