Acer intros its first Windows 7 netbook, Aspire One D250

By Matthew
Oct 13, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acer announced this morning that it will offer Windows 7 Starter edition on one of its Aspire One netbooks. The Aspire One D250 has a 10.1" LED-backlit display -- the same as current Aspire One units, except for the higher 1,280 x 720 resolution. The device features a 1.66GHz Intel Atom N280 processor and GMA 950 graphics chipset, 2GB of RAM and a 5400RPM 160GB HDD.

Read the whole story
  2. JudaZ

JudaZ TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 292

"will offer Windows 7 Starter edition " ... I know Acer is a joke .. but still . Starter Edition???

> No personalization options (changing background images/wallpapers or sounds)
    > No Aero
    > No DVD playback
    > No Media Center features at all
    > No domain support
    > No XP virtualization mode
    > No multi-monitor support

the 3- app limit is removed now ..but still...

more limits

32-bit only support
    Home Group join only

*Sigh*
  3. Atom is only a 32-bit cpu, so you can't use 64 bit Windows on it anyway...
  4. The starter edition makes sense. Acer wants to keep the cost down and avoid performance issues. A wise move with a new OS..
  5. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 941   +82

Two complaints on the product, the price at US$553 seems about $200 too high when I compare it's sepcs to a Windows XP Netbook that out currently. And a missing NVidia Ion or NVidia Ion 2 option is a deal breaker for me.

And the limitations in Windows Starter Edition seem arbitrary, but I don't think that this hardware would produce a good experience in Windows Seven Home Premium.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.