Acer intros its first Windows 7 netbook, Aspire One D250

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Acer announced this morning that it will offer Windows 7 Starter edition on one of its Aspire One netbooks. The Aspire One D250 has a 10.1" LED-backlit display -- the same as current Aspire One units, except for the higher 1,280 x 720 resolution. The device features a 1.66GHz Intel Atom N280 processor and GMA 950 graphics chipset, 2GB of RAM and a 5400RPM 160GB HDD.

The Aspire One D250's remaining specifications include USB, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR connectivity, an all-in-one card reader, a webcam, and a multi-touch trackpad. Acer will offer its new netbook in Japan with up to a six-cell battery that provides a maximum life of 7.5 hours.

The company expects to launch its Windows 7-equipped Aspire One D250 parallel with the new operating system's October 22 release date, at a price of ¥46,800 -- which is roughly $553.

Permalink to story.

"will offer Windows 7 Starter edition " ... I know Acer is a joke .. but still . Starter Edition???

> No personalization options (changing background images/wallpapers or sounds)
> No Aero
> No DVD playback
> No Media Center features at all
> No domain support
> No XP virtualization mode
> No multi-monitor support

the 3- app limit is removed now ..but still...

more limits

32-bit only support
Home Group join only

*Sigh*

Atom is only a 32-bit cpu, so you can't use 64 bit Windows on it anyway...

The starter edition makes sense. Acer wants to keep the cost down and avoid performance issues. A wise move with a new OS..

Two complaints on the product, the price at US$553 seems about $200 too high when I compare it's sepcs to a Windows XP Netbook that out currently. And a missing NVidia Ion or NVidia Ion 2 option is a deal breaker for me.

And the limitations in Windows Starter Edition seem arbitrary, but I don't think that this hardware would produce a good experience in Windows Seven Home Premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back