Acer intros Revo 3700 nettop with dual-core Atom, Nvidia Ion

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Acer has introduced a new ultra-compact PC suitable for both home media and general purpose uses. The Apsire Revo 3700 packs some respectable horsepower into a one-liter chassis, including a dual-core 1.8GHz Intel Atom D525 processor and an Nvidia Ion GPU. The machine can handle 1080p HD media, and Acer says it can cope with DirectX 10 games "at great frame rates." That's misleading and subjective at best, but the Ion's no slouch to be sure.

Internally, there's also 4GB of DDR3 memory and a 500GB hard drive. Meanwhile, the outside reveals four USB 2.0 ports (no USB 3.0), VGA and HDMI outputs, and a mini-PCIe slot. Gigabit Ethernet and 802.11b/g/n connectivity are also present. An official release date hasn't been, but you can expect the Revo 3700 to appear later this year at a somewhat discouraging price of around $580 -- or more expensive than our entry-level gaming rig.

Permalink to story.

Why don't they build Andriod nettops/minis with an Nvida Tegra 2. They would be cheaper and could be better suited in expensive HTPC set-top boxes with 1080p HDMI out. Paying the premium on Windows XP (is rediculous) and is just too much to ask when most people that buy these just want to connect up their media to their HD TV and maybe do some light computer stuff. All android needs is some USB drivers to connect external HD, or an app to link up with media servers like Windows Media Player and other network resources and you have the best of both worlds.

I don't know about you but I use my Acer Revo Nettop as a gaming machine for older PC games. It runs Source games quite well and it plays older games just fine too. I actually replaced my giant, bulky Dell Desktop with this same model Revo system and I'm never looking back. The performance these things offer and the low power consumption sold me. I'll keep them on a 3-4 year lifecycle and either build my own HTPC using Atom/ION based hardware or purchase already pre-built Nettop PC's as their power is increasing at an amazing rate.

When you look at the original lineup of Nettop's that launched in 2008 and compare them to the modern ones you'll see what I'm talking about. The Atom processor is quickly nearing the 2.0 Ghz dual-core range and people have already safely overclocked their Intel D525's to 2.1 - 2.2 Ghz for more bang.

On an ending note the price range estimation for the AR3700 is completely off. It's currently available for just $349 on Newegg.

Back