Acer laptop drops wireless signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyeman

greeting,
I have a home network set up currently running a custom built desktop with RangeMax wireless-N usb adapter and a fairly new Acer Aspire 5517 laptop with built in Broadcom 802.11g wireless adapter. Both are in same room about 20 feet from router. Desktop stays connected without any issues. Laptop goes through periods when it keeps dropping wireless signal. Both machines are running Win 7. Acer hasn't been a whole lot of help on this issue they made a few suggestions which seemed to help temorarily but problem has returned with a vengance, So I turn to my friends here at techspot. I have tried updating and rolling back drivers on laptop, switched id channels in speedstream router, rebooted router. I shouldn't have to keep doing this. What else should I be looking at? Like I said wireless desktop in same room has no problems. I need to test this machine somewhere else to see if its my router but I haven't yet.

Thanks
ds

I have had the same problem with a Acer Aspire 5920g, we narrowed it down to being a incompatible router. How long exactly can you stay connected for? Does it drop off after 5 minutes and then do you have to reconnect it or it will eventually reconnect itself?
The 5920g we had i personally believe went wrong because of the wireless n capable adapter it had which when we bought it was one of the first out!
One thing that i would recommend to try though, if you have (or can get hold of) a usb network adapter see if you have the same problem connecting your laptop through that. Then we may be able to narrow down if its hardware or software.

dropped wireless

Its real inconsistent. Sometimes we have no problems for days and then sometimes it drops the signal off and on all night. Don't know why I didn't think of trying the USB Adapter from my desktop. I'll see how that works on the laptop.

Thanks
ds

Just another simple suggestion, change the channel of the router. If its on one end (1 or 11) change it to the other. If its in the middle change it to either 1 or 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back