Acer laptop - failing to boot xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_Joster

Morning All.
I have been looking into my housemates Laptop which is an Acer Travelmate 800. last night he went to use the laptop using the power cable. It was not plugged fully into the wall so he pushed it in. However on doing this he got sparks come from the transformer on the power cable and when trying to boot the system it went straight to Bios asking "Do you wish to save changes".

NO changes were made and so we tried to boot into windows xp (Sp2). We received nothing so i used windows recovery cd to see if it would help. No windows updates had been run and no software has just been installed prior to this problem. I also looked on M$ knowledgbase but all the errors relating to this seem to be about upgrades or software install. also regarding Goback which is not on the system.

It gets to the windows caterpillar loading screen & then i receive the following error message

Stop c000021a {Fatal System Error} the session manager Initialization system process termintaed unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c.

This continues to happen and I am at a slight lose as to what to do next. I was thinking perhaps the hard disk has been wipped of some boot drivers for windows. Also i cannot load Safe mode, it simply does not respond.

Thankyou in advance for your help and please ask if i have missed anything out.

BR

Jos

Hi Kimsland.

Thanks for replying. I have an oldish Windows Xp cd and aparentely i am missing a file 'asms' on Windows Xp Pro Service Pack 2 cd. I can either enter a path of it's location or cancel. Cancel will stop setup :(

Ok I copied this folder to a USB pen & used that E:\ however now it wants a catalog file "NT5INF.CAT"

when i try to give it the USB Pen location is says it encountered a fatal error and setup quits.Grrrrr. I copied the files from another system so i guess it does not like that.

Please can anyone help me with this.

Cheers

Jos

Oh those missing files errors (or cannot copy)
Usually related to faulty HardDrive (or configuration) or Ram (and in extreme cases CPU)
(Strangely, not the CD files)

You could try a Drive Diagnostics on your HardDrive
Or Memtest on your Ram

Perhaps i can someone get the hard drive linked up to my desktop but i'll have to check if i have an external shell to use.

Cheers.

Jos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back