Acer launches new Timeline X notebooks with Sandy Bridge

Matthew DeCarlo

Acer has unveiled its third-generation Timeline X notebooks in Taiwan today, including 13.3 (3830TG), 14.4 (4830TG) and 15.6-inch (5830TG) iterations. According to Engadget, all of the notebooks on display are equipped with a 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5-2410M processor, an Nvidia GT540M with 2GB of DDR3 VRAM, 2GB of DDR3 RAM, a 640GB hard drive, USB 3.0 connectivity, and a 1366x768 display.

The 13.3-incher will also be available with a 2.3GHz Core i3-2310 while the larger systems come standard with a DVD drive. We'd expect to see more CPU, RAM, and HDD options as the notebooks become widely available. All models also carry Kenwood-branded Dolby Home Theater speakers which sound pretty solid compared to most notebook speakers according to a review by InsideHW.

We haven't seen an official runtime from Acer but InsideHW's review unit fetched more than 12 hours when operating in "ultra-saving mode." Gaming with an active wireless connection drained the juice in just over two hours, so you can expect typical usage to fall between those figures. The maximum autonomy represents a substantial increase over the eight hours cited by earlier models.

While we're on that subject, it's worth noting that the battery is no longer removable. Besides Sandy Bridge's added horsepower and efficiency, the revamped Timeline X series has received a chiclet-style keyboard, an extra mouse button, and slightly refined aesthetics such as straight edges around the chassis instead of tapered ones. Pricing starts at roughly $1,133 and US availability is unknown.

Permalink to story.

When are these companies going to learn that graphics are a major deal breaker for laptops. You can get just about any laptop if you don't care about graphics, but if you want real performance for Photoshop, CAD or anything else, you have to have the graphics. Most college and high school guys want to play games too. Why not give them a laptop that looks professional but is capable of gaming and high load applications.

i have a timeline x and it is by far the best purchase i have ever made i get 5 to 8 hours of websurfing and taking notes. On top of that i can game on it with my 5670 and it is amazing that it generates little heat and still gets 3 hours of battery life. I think this is the best laptop ever made also being so light.
Good job acer.

The graphics card on these lap tops actual aren't that bad. I have a gt 230m on my laptop with and i7 720QM and I can max out almost any game. 1366x768 isn't that demanding on the graphics processor and the only game I have tried yet that I couldn't max is Crysis 2 which I had to run on medium settings.

I have no clue why they would only include 2 gigs of ram on this laptop. Even the cheapest of laptops now include 4 gigs so I would defiantly expect to see that on a $1,000 + laptop.

TrekExpert said:
The graphics card on these lap tops actual aren't that bad. I have a gt 230m on my laptop with and i7 720QM and I can max out almost any game. 1366x768 isn't that demanding on the graphics processor and the only game I have tried yet that I couldn't max is Crysis 2 which I had to run on medium settings.

I have no clue why they would only include 2 gigs of ram on this laptop. Even the cheapest of laptops now include 4 gigs so I would defiantly expect to see that on a $1,000 + laptop.

Nah, there is still some out there that only have 2GB
I bought an ACER for aroung 500, great laptop. Stays cool... but is not quite so fast, its reliable though.

Back