Acer may release $99 Iconia tablet

By Rick
Dec 24, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Following recent rumors of an Asus-made $99 Google Nexus 7, Acer is said to be prepping its own 7-inch, $99 tablet offering. The Wall Street Journal claims this information comes a source with "direct knowledge" of the project, but let's...

Read more
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,062   +1,179

Of coarse not, all manufacturers know they can sell their devices over 4 times their value in the states.

I might actually be inclined to purchase a tablet, if they offer one for only $99. I know I will never spend $500 on a tablet.
  3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,713   +286

I would honestly buy one for $100. but for some reason whenever I see something like this im interested in its never sold in the US.
  4. Kinda funny that the target price is $99 when they then start talking about not selling it in the US to begin with. What's the point of using $ then? Sub $100 is a psychological price to someone in the states, but once converted and inflated here in Europe, it just means 'cheaper than the rest' regardless of the original price being $90, $99 or $117.
  5. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 751   +112

This is actually good as this will bring prices down.

newer iterations of google nexus 7 target price is ~100$ so hopefully, we can now see tablets (and smartphones) with ics 4.xx at the attractive price fo 100$.
  6. If and when Google starts selling the $99 tablets, we all know it will be at the loss and Play Store will offset the production cost. Same goes for Amazon Kindle.

Acer don't have that luxury. Either they cut corners on the materials similar to those Chinese knock-off tablets, or they bombard users with built-in Ads.

I'll pass even if they go ahead for a US release.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.