Acer readies 10-inch Aspire One netbook with AMD CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Acer is reportedly getting ready to launch a new 10.1-inch netbook that does away with the typical Intel Atom chip configuration for a brand-new AMD platform. The Acer Aspire One 521 is expected to use single-core V105 processor clocked at 1.2GHz featuring a 512KB L2 Cache, DDR3 support and a TDP of just 9W. This chip will not to be formally announced until May, as the slowest member of AMD's Geneva processor family, itself part of the Nile platform.

The 45nm Geneva processor will sit next to an M880G chipset, which will include Mobility Radeon HD 4225 graphics with 384MB of dedicated video memory. AMD hasn't released this particular component either, but it is probably a slightly improved version of the 4200 and should be capable of HD video playback. According to Macles, the netbook will have an HDMI output, optional Bluetooth 3 support, a compact charger and a battery good for 7 hours of use.

This wouldn't be Acer's first ultraportable laptop with an AMD processor. The company has been offering the Acer Ferrari One with an 11.6-inch display and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor since December. Pricing and availability for the Aspire One 521 remain unknown for now, but an announcement might come in early June during Computex.

Permalink to story.

I'll be waiting to see how this CPU compares to the Atom in terms of performance. Looks like a seriously cut down AMD CPU. Other than this, the specs look good, and 7 hours battery is decent (certainly better than I'd expected for an AMD laptop).

finally, a netbook with an almost decent GPU (rather than the 600 ones with IONs) i wonder how much this will cost.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the 384MB isn't dedicated but is shared memory. Also, seems to me from Sempron benchmarks on Anandtech that the performance of this CPU is going to be right in the ballpark of a single core Atom. Which isn't that great.

Acer customer support is almost non-existent. As a previous dissatisfied user of their inferior products I would never be tempted again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back