TechSpot

Acer readies 10-inch Aspire One netbook with AMD CPU

By Jos
Apr 20, 2010
  1. Acer is reportedly getting ready to launch a new 10.1-inch netbook that does away with the typical Intel Atom chip configuration for a brand-new AMD platform. The Acer Aspire One 521 is expected to use single-core V105 processor clocked at 1.2GHz featuring a 512KB L2 Cache, DDR3 support and a TDP of just 9W. This chip will not to be formally announced until May, as the slowest member of AMD's Geneva processor family, itself part of the Nile platform.

Read the whole story

2. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 997   +32

I'll be waiting to see how this CPU compares to the Atom in terms of performance. Looks like a seriously cut down AMD CPU. Other than this, the specs look good, and 7 hours battery is decent (certainly better than I'd expected for an AMD laptop).

3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,978   +390

finally, a netbook with an almost decent GPU (rather than the 600 ones with IONs) i wonder how much this will cost.

4. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 920   +57

About time AMD got into the netbook market.

5. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 997   +32

BTW, I'm pretty sure the 384MB isn't dedicated but is shared memory. Also, seems to me from Sempron benchmarks on Anandtech that the performance of this CPU is going to be right in the ballpark of a single core Atom. Which isn't that great.

6. Acer customer support is almost non-existent. As a previous dissatisfied user of their inferior products I would never be tempted again.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.