TechSpot

Acer sinks to fifth place in US PC shipments, Apple takes third

By Matthew
Jul 14, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. IDC and Gartner have released fresh reports detailing the state of the PC industry. According to both research houses, global PC shipments in the second quarter grew by 2.3% to…

Read the whole story

2. And nothing of value was lost.

3. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 958   +23

Apple must be including phones.

4. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

Apple is at 10.7% now? Yikes

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

That does beg a question, what exactly defines a "PC" these days? Aren't they counting tablets?

6. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

This story is impressive, considering all the effort Apple has put into distancing themselves from the PC market. "Hi I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC"

7. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

According to IDC "PCs include Desktops, Portables, Mini Notebooks and do not include handhelds, x86 Servers and Media Tablets (i.e. iPad and Android-based Tablets). "

8. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

9. People that want to be told what to buy will be in line for an apple...... Anyone that knows anything about computers will build their own pc for half the price.

10. This is only US sales... If you follow the IDC and Gartner links and look at the worldwide lists, Apple isn't even on there... or, at least, they're grouped into the "other" category with the rest. 1.HP, 2.Dell, 3.Lenovo, 4. Acer, 5. Asus, (6.Toshiba :Gartners), and then just "Others" which makes up 1/3 of the market... but still, that's all other manufacturers... sure, Apple is there... but so is Sony, Samsung, MSI, Compaq, Panasonic, Gateway, Alienware, eMachines, HANNSPREE, fujitsu, CyberpowerPC, etc.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.