Acer TM230XV Won't Start Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

craZy18gurl

I have an Acer TravelMate 230XV and as of recently it does not seem to be starting up.

Here's what happened. I was just doing my work when the electricity went out (we face a serious case of load shedding here in Pakistan). So I began closing up but before I could shut it down it went on Hibernate mode. So after an hour when the electricity came back, I started it up again, but the screen remained blank. I waited for a little while but still nothing. This happened once or twice before and I use to simply restart the whole thing and then everything would work. This time that didn't work.

I tried multiple times trying to turn it on but all that happens is that the power and battery light is lit, I can hear the fan but the screen remains blank.

I looked around on forums and found that this most likely has something to do with the battery, but I did not completely understand all that found. I tried some methods people suggested to others with the same problem but I really didn't understand them and I doubt I did any of them right.

So I would really appreciate some assistance. I'm no genius when it comes to computers and I'm rather worried about my laptop at the moment.

Hey craZy :)

Well try this:

Remove the battery
Remove the Power Adaptor
Hold the ON button in for 30secs (dispersing all internal voltage)
Put the Power Adaptor back in (Only)
Turn on

Did it work?
If yes, then shutdown, and re-insert the battery, and turn back on again

Yo. Alright I removed the battery, removed the power adaptor and held the On button for 30 seconds. I put the power adaptor back on and hit the On button. Still nothing. Same lights got lit but still a blank screen.

Please tell me I'm not doomed.

we face a serious case of load shedding here in Pakistan
What this means is, if someone down the road turns on their 1000watt amp, your electricity will imediately drop, thus causing the electricity supply to imediately shut down (which is not good for devices such as Laptops, trying to draw more power.

But this also works in the opposite effect. If the Power suddenly spikes up (ie someone turns off all their lights (in an office block!) Your power supply will be given an instant boost of electricity. Thus causing irrepairable damage especially to electronic circuitry.

What to do?

Hmm, is it under warranty? (Probably not!)

I suspect the Motherboard (power cicuitry) is gone. (ie That's the entire Laptop!)

You could start pulling parts out (Ram; HardDrive; Battery; Possibly Palm Rest with mouse TouchPad assembly. Hopefully it's just one of these Hardware issues only.

I suspect Motherboard, but it still could be other parts, including CPU.
You will need to start dismantling it (or have someone who is experienced enough to do this for you.
Hey, have you tried Battery in, Power Pack out? (now that would be good, and hopeful)

Um, good luck

Thing is the Power Supply people turn off the grid after every few hours cuz it overheats. But either way, like you said, when it goes, everything shuts down and when it comes back there's an instant boost, not so good either.

Nope, not under warranty. Had her for quite some time now. I'm thinking her 'time' has finally come.

May probably be the Motherboard but I'll have to have a professional check it out.

There are some really important files I got on this laptop, I can still save em right?

Battery in, Power Pack out? No actually I haven't. How does this work out?

Thanks for all your help so far kimsland =]

Yes I was suggesting just to use the Battery only, and disconnect the power adaptor (Just in case it's just the Power Adaptor at fault, causing the laptop not to start)

Anyway yes you can backup the HardDrive still.

The idea is:

Remove the HardDrive (Here's some pics on that, but not specifically your Model)
Then attach an adaptor to it (Here's one, Here's another)
Then plug it into another computer as a slave (ie the adaptor will then connect into a PC)
Then back up, from opening your HardDrive from the PC's My Computer

I'm not sure if that's fantastically clear! But the adaptor allows you to plug the small laptop HardDrive into the larger Desktop PC connector cable (really getting basic here)

I got it dismantled and discovered that my processor was burnt out. Basically so much dust got clogged up the fan, the processor got fried. But I got it replaced and everything is working perfectly now.

Thanks for you help kimsland =] I guess this topic can be closed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back