TechSpot

Acer's Predator takes on high-end desktop gaming

By Julio Franco
Jun 28, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. While not meaning to take it to any extreme levels, Acer is updating its Predator desktop PC series aimed at gamers packing a lot of horsepower and the option to scale up graphics. For $2,000 you get a Core i7 930 processor, a 3-way SLI capable motherboard, 12GB of DDR3 RAM, a single GeForce GTX 470 graphics card, 1.5TB HDD and a radical chassis design with a mechanized front cover that hides a multi-card reader and connectivity ports.

Read the whole story
  2. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 717   +28

It depends on what you are doing - 12Gb of ram is great for editing photos, watching videos and playing games without having to ever wait on a disk swap. I have 9GB in my i7 and its lovely. Got 16Gb in my work pc :) Then I am using alot of virtualisation software on it. I wouldnt kick 12GB out of bed and I would have to swap sticks out to get my home PC up to 12GB from 9GB.
  3. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 843   +11

Man I wish I had even half those specs on my work pc. I do graphic design for signs but the boss won't upgrade my PC :(. 2 gigs of ram just isn't enough.

As for this new Predator PC, I don't really like how the case looks. I would break that thingy off the top accidentally inside a month :p.
  4. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 717   +28

Is the top spring loaded? I can see my cup of tea getting launched across the room if it is :)
  5. Jesus christ these companies know how to make fugly computers.
  6. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,347   +397

That is one trippy looking case. How many parts do you think would break off in just a single move?
  7. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

I swear they should think about including this in the next Transformers movie. I'm not kidding either. Someone email the director NOW.
  8. dummybait

dummybait TS Rookie Posts: 45

What the hell does Jesus have to do with it? lol
  9. Acer owns Gateway/eMachines, That's whey they are so closely related.
  10. Everytime u want too put in a DVD u have to lift the front up, which could hit ur desk if u got it underneath, also if u got something in the front usb or phone jack u would have to take it out, looks like a few design flaws
  11. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 632

That thing looks like a predator, so at least it would keep any kids away from it. I guess since I'm a guy who builds my own towers I'm not in the target market and thats why I find all these "h4rdcor3 l33tz0r" machines to look slightly different from what my dog makes when she goes in the backyard.

Also, I just don't get why the hell you put a hood on a PC. Hoods are for cars.

12. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper TS Rookie Posts: 28

i can make a 2 times better PC my self for 1300$ , actually , i have one already :D

If you buy a PC , build it your self.
  13. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 275

After seeing this thing, he'll be wondering why he bothered to die for our sins. I don't even think a second coming would be able to atone for the hideous design, either.

I don't think Asus will sell many of these. Anyone with a need for that much computer will take a look at the case and then run to a company like FalconNorthwest or Maingear that offer professional looking units. Good airflow has also likely been compromised for the sake of looks.
  14. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Maniac Posts: 543

Specs great, Would be great for using UDK/ other design programs (I a Computer games design student) However at college we got 2 gig ram 2.0 Ghz Duel cores. Intergrated GFX so all the programs Crash all the time :). However they getting us GFX cards for next year they secured that before the budget cuts \0/ (I in UK)

My home PC 4 gig ram. GTS250 AMD9550 Phen1 2.2 (overclocked to 2.5~) Vista Ultimate 32 bit... hope to upgrade soon have no money, sucks :/

I hate the case on this PC. I hate the case on MY pc. may buy a new one as I hated it so much I ripped the front off! I would end up destroying that thigs case if you gave it to me, I dunno what it is about the case.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.