Activision Blizzard won't have a role at the 2021 Game Awards outside of its nominations

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: The 2021 Game Awards take place on Thursday, December 9, and will be hosted by Keighley from the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles. The show returns as an in-person event this year after going virtual last year due to the pandemic, but Activision Blizzard won't have a role outside of its previously announced awards nominations.

Activision Blizzard’s terrible, horrible, no good, very bad 2021 continues as The Game Awards producer and host Geoff Keighley has confirmed that the embattled video game company will not have a presence at this year’s awards ceremony outside of its nominations.

In follow-up tweets, Keighley said The Game Awards are a time of celebration for the industry, adding that there is no place for abuse, harassment or predatory practices in any company or any community.

In a statement given to The Washington Post, Keighley said Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2 won’t be shown at this year’s show. That’s no surprise considering Activision Blizzard said back in February that neither title was on track to launch in 2021. With the recent exit of Jen Oneal, the games might not arrive until sometime in 2023 at the earliest.

A quick check of the nominees reveals Activision is up for two awards: the best eSports game with Call of Duty and Best Ongoing, “awarded to a game for outstanding development of ongoing content that evolves the player experience over time” for Call of Duty: Warzone.

It’s worth mentioning that Activision President Rob Kostich is on the advisory board for The Game Awards alongside other big names like AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su, Hideo Kojima, Nintendo President Doug Bowser and Microsoft’s Phil Spencer.

Permalink to story.

You know what would put even *more* distance...

But of course not: That might actually translate into less sales for Bobby and his gang of criminals, let's just stick with the symbolic, meaningless gesture instead of something that could send a message like intentionally not nominating them at all.

So that's where they draw the line. Predatory and anti-consuner practices are fine but it takes overblown sexual accusations for them to distance themselves.

I can't say more than this, but I know a woman that works at blizzard. It's her opinion that the level of sexual harassment at blizzard is significantly less than what she would expect when going out to the bar.

So that's where they draw the line. Predatory and anti-consuner practices are fine but it takes overblown sexual accusations for them to distance themselves.

I can't say more than this, but I know a woman that works at blizzard. It's her opinion that the level of sexual harassment at blizzard is significantly less than what she would expect when going out to the bar.
I love these "I know someone who works there and it's not as bad as they say" posts. Yeah, I'm sure you know half the people working at Blizzard so we should trust your word over the actual accusers. Random internet guy is always in the know!

I love these "I know someone who works there and it's not as bad as they say" posts. Yeah, I'm sure you know half the people working at Blizzard so we should trust your word over the actual accusers. Random internet guy is always in the know!
In most cases, you're right

This seems like the dumbest PR nonsense. Like, AFAIK no companies "have a role' at the awards, whatever that even means. So Keighley is just trying to act like he somehow banned Acti for just doing what he normally does.

Trash. Seems to be working for Keighley though.

Most of this metoo or cancel culture nonsense is so BS anyway. Justice is the last thing most of these campaigns care about. It's all just arbitrary and capricious mob rule, and gamers have had crosshairs on Kotick for years (I'm not even sure why, I guess because "microtransactions" like every company doesnt do the same thing), they saw this as their chance to get him. None of the facts of the case etc matter. Hell Sony had a similar suit filed recently and none of these fake outraged gamers cares. At all. So I guess if youre a woman who works at a giant corp with a lot of fanboys (Sony) well screw you.

I'm pretty sure Kotick is an *******, but I'm also pretty sure there's no evidence he did anything wrong here. Because that's the norm with these.

That said I'm not attempting to minimize the situation, just saying the reaction of most of these metoo cancellations is just internet mob rule, and it's who is popular that determines who gets axed and who survives, not who did something wrong and not justice.

Most of this metoo or cancel culture nonsense is so BS anyway. Justice is the last thing most of these campaigns care about. It's all just arbitrary and capricious mob rule, and gamers have had crosshairs on Kotick for years (I'm not even sure why, I guess because "microtransactions" like every company doesnt do the same thing), they saw this as their chance to get him. None of the facts of the case etc matter. Hell Sony had a similar suit filed recently and none of these fake outraged gamers cares. At all. So I guess if youre a woman who works at a giant corp with a lot of fanboys (Sony) well screw you.

I'm pretty sure Kotick is an *******, but I'm also pretty sure there's no evidence he did anything wrong here. Because that's the norm with these.

That said I'm not attempting to minimize the situation, just saying the reaction of most of these metoo cancellations is just internet mob rule, and it's who is popular that determines who gets axed and who survives, not who did something wrong and not justice.
I'm actually more worried about my friend keeping their job, but thanks for quoting me

I checked out another site mentioned here about Activision .
There were lots of anti Woke , anti SJW posts - that people are hypocrites because if they boycott Activision then you should boycott A B C etc - such a tired trope - which does have a point , but ignores the inconsistency that is inherent in humans . like those gotchas - you are wearing leather shoes !!! how can you be vegetarian?
Except for the nauseous and obnoxious who stand offended on behalf of others all the time and are patronising hypocrites .
Actions against selected companies can have a chilling affect to improve conditions in other companies.
Do people seriously believe it was just foreign car manufacturers in The USA solely cheating on tests ?. That only the likes of Volkswagen were doing it and not say GM or Ford - given that GM and Ford will have to clean up their act as well and they will not have to pay 30 billion . I do wonder about the USA system BP paid 30 Billion as a foreign company . ExxonMobil has paid only about 1.6 Billion for all it's contamination of groundwater , Valdez etc -. I think they both had to pay for the clean ups - I understand more incomes reliant on gulf , but Valdez was also a pristine environment . Then again those gold mining reality shows in Alaska - haven't watched for years - but you never really saw the govt inspectors for ripping up water ways , tailings cleanup - In NZ you would be heavily legislated - ie must relevel & replant , no heavy metals or even heavily soiled water to go into rivers , permits to take water for wash etc - environmental report for native flora & fauna ( TBF - maybe claim areas pre-approved with set conditions )- TBF I never saw discharge back into rivers on those shows

Exactly. Should they produce something like Warcraft III (original, not reforged!) proper-quality wise, I wouldn't care at all about sexual harassment allegations, real or not. Should they produce Starcraft III, I wouldn't care if they had a "male only frat boy culture" or if the lead was all-male. All I care about is game quality. Why would I care of what the crazies Twitter-SJW complain about?!
If they had a good RTS game without micro transactions, with sexual innuendos and a strong non diverse white male character, I would buy it, just like I bought Cyberpunk or Kingdom Come Deliverance, just to annoy the snowflakes: the more hate from crazy leaning media, the more sales from people like me. I'm tired of beingaccused of everything bad just because I have a pair and my skin color is white. I'm Eastern European. I never had slaves and I'm not racist.
When I see Kotaku going overboard killing a game (like Duke Nukem Forever), I will definitely buy it. These "journalists" only care about representation and "white male bad" tropes so I'm not paying a cent to SJW-pandering companies, and guess what, most of us do the same: Activision's CoD Woke Edition (Vanguard) had awful sales. Will not touch it with a 10 foot pole. Battlefield V? 2042? Same slogans, same result: abysmal sales. Looking forward to the next shooter/RPG game which isn't woke and doesn't have any SJW crap included, or MTX. Probably Witcher IV. Or Cyberpunk. Or something from old Blizzard devs.
Let's see how sales dictate what should be included in games, not the Twitter colored hair "gamers" which are in fact activists.
I honestly don't care about the woke media, if the game is not about diversity instead of quality and fun, I'll buy it. Simple.

Last edited:
This seems like the dumbest PR nonsense. Like, AFAIK no companies "have a role' at the awards, whatever that even means. So Keighley is just trying to act like he somehow banned Acti for just doing what he normally does.

Trash. Seems to be working for Keighley though.
They actually do. They sign contracts for exclusive content and sponsorship deals. They also send people to talk at the shows (amongst other things).

There isn't a game that bliz/acti makes/could make that would entice me to ever give them money .

This has absolutely no impact of how much activision earns. This is just something that keighley is doing to get a pat on the back from the mob and not be crucified.

Exactly. Should they produce something like Warcraft III (original, not reforged!) proper-quality wise, I wouldn't care at all about sexual harassment allegations, real or not. Should they produce Starcraft III, I wouldn't care if they had a "male only frat boy culture" or if the lead was all-male. All I care about is game quality. Why would I care of what the crazies Twitter-SJW complain about?!
If they had a good RTS game without micro transactions, with sexual innuendos and a strong non diverse white male character, I would buy it, just like I bought Cyberpunk or Kingdom Come Deliverance, just to annoy the snowflakes: the more hate from crazy leaning media, the more sales from people like me. I'm tired of beingaccused of everything bad just because I have a pair and my skin color is white. I'm Eastern European. I never had slaves and I'm not racist.
When I see Kotaku going overboard killing a game (like Duke Nukem Forever), I will definitely buy it. These "journalists" only care about representation and "white male bad" tropes so I'm not paying a cent to SJW-pandering companies, and guess what, most of us do the same: Activision's CoD Woke Edition (Vanguard) had awful sales. Will not touch it with a 10 foot pole. Battlefield V? 2042? Same slogans, same result: abysmal sales. Looking forward to the next shooter/RPG game which isn't woke and doesn't have any SJW crap included, or MTX. Probably Witcher IV. Or Cyberpunk. Or something from old Blizzard devs.
Let's see how sales dictate what should be included in games, not the Twitter colored hair "gamers" which are in fact activists.
I honestly don't care about the woke media, if the game is not about diversity instead of quality and fun, I'll buy it. Simple.

BRAVO!

Back