Activision is investing half a billion dollars in 'Destiny'

Shawn Knight

Staff member

activision bungie destiny investment

Activision is betting the house on Destiny, the post-Halo sci-fi first-person shooter set for release on September 9. The company is setting aside half a billion dollars to fund the game’s development and promotion according to a report from Reuters.

CEO Bobby Kotick recently revealed the astronomical figure during the Milken conference in Los Angeles.

That’s a ton of money to spend on a gaming franchise, especially one that has zero track record. To put it into perspective, Grand Theft Auto V had a total estimated budget of just $260 million. But of course, there are some things to point out about the $500 million Destiny budget.

For one, it includes marketing, packaging, infrastructure support, royalties and other costs according to an Activision spokesperson.  Building the game’s engine and the backend infrastructure, for example, are upfront costs the company hopes will help reduce further development costs down the road. The goal is for future releases in the franchise to cost roughly as much as other AAA titles, the rep said.

With $500 million invested, Activision would need to sell between 15 million to 16 million copies of Destiny just to break even. Analysts believe the half billion mark is likely a record spent on a single title and some, like Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia, feel it’s a “head scratcher.” For what it's worth, the analyst estimates Activision will sell just eight million copies of the game.

Permalink to story.

"Activision would need to sell between 15 million to 16 million copies of Destiny just to break even."

here we go, E.T. for Atari 2600 all over again xD

Aint destiny a PC/PS4 exclusive? forget my ignorance I havent checked it up. But that is too much money.. its obvious Activision want to make this another CoD Milking sesh

If a game costs this much, you are programming it wrong.

To their credit, properly programming marketing strategies, royalty fees, infrastructure costs, and those capital-intensive organic algorithms (employees) is hard to do.

Aint destiny a PC/PS4 exclusive? forget my ignorance I havent checked it up. But that is too much money.. its obvious Activision want to make this another CoD Milking sesh
No, its on Xbox ONE as well.

They had to spend the money they rake in from the CoD kids who buy the same game every year some way. But I doubt the game sales are the only thing they are betting on, chances are map packs, campaign expansions, gun skins or character skins, and other things will be coming that will rake in the extra dough.

But who cares, this game is going to be AWESOME

They had to spend the money they rake in from the CoD kids who buy the same game every year some way. But I doubt the game sales are the only thing they are betting on, chances are map packs, campaign expansions, gun skins or character skins, and other things will be coming that will rake in the extra dough.

But who cares, this game is going to be AWESOME

Well from what I heard they are gonna be selling eye skins, face skins, voice skins everything is gonna be bought by real cash and it will look miles worse then a 2yr old painting.

Yeah.. yeah.. sell xxx to break even.. right.. right..
or.. lets us say that will spend everything on devel and marketing and dont even have no profit just to not pay taxes...

Its PS3, PS4, xbox 360, and xbox one, and not PC.
After Cod ghosts I dont belive anyone wants another activison game on the pc that was one hell of a port and the horrible optimization my god but game looks neat for console players on the other hand for once this game may have some spotlight instead of that crappy Cod which is renewed every year with no change at all might buy on my 360 time will tell :)

They should just use Blizzard's engine, they own Blizzird, and massively upgrade it. It should save some money.

After Cod ghosts I dont belive anyone wants another activison game on the pc that was one hell of a port and the horrible optimization my god but game looks neat for console players on the other hand for once this game may have some spotlight instead of that crappy Cod which is renewed every year with no change at all might buy on my 360 time will tell :)
dont have to preach to me, im excited as anyone could be for this :D

Shooters are a dime a dozen. To spend half a billion dollars on another one is insane. I suspect the people who are promoting spending this kind of money will be selling pencils on a street corner in about 3-4 years.

Yeah.. yeah.. sell xxx to break even.. right.. right..
or.. lets us say that will spend everything on devel and marketing and dont even have no profit just to not pay taxes...

If you're going to troll, do try not to be a stooge. Tax is assessed on gross, not net. Even if they lose money hand over fist on this title, (which is looking like a strong possibility given recent gameplay footage), they still have to pay taxes on the gross income.

Shooters are a dime a dozen. To spend half a billion dollars on another one is insane. I suspect the people who are promoting spending this kind of money will be selling pencils on a street corner in about 3-4 years.

It wreaks of over-ambition, to be sure. Nevertheless, Activision has one of the best marketing divisions around. They've been selling the exact same game for the past decade and apparently nobody is the wiser. If they can sell map packs for $60 a pop every few years with smaller map packs in between as paid DLC, I have confidence in their ability to move a new IP. $500 million confidence? Not so much. But wouldn't count them out before getting a better look at the product.

Part of those big, big dollar amounts, is due to today's money having very little value.

Minimum wage in the US was about $1.00 an hour when I got my first job. Now the big push is to make it $10.00.

That's a factor of 10 to 1. So, in captaincranky dollars, 500 million, equals 50 million tops.

Besides, in today's dollars, a half billion will barely buy you one F-35 Raptor. And there's no guarantee that will work properly either.

Also, there's the engine expansion packs, the avionics packs, the air to surface missile packs, bigger tires, chrome rims, et al....., yadda, yadda, yadda.

Last edited:
The Difference with this Port will be that all the console are now x86 based, meaning the programming language the CPU/ GPU instruction set are nearly same. SO if and when the game is ported to PC it will be less of a hassle and will look great. Earlier the port were horrible due the the architectural difference inherent in the console VS PC Hardware.
In fact I would go as far as to say that this game will set a trend to port new console games to PC.

Part of those big, big dollar amounts, is due to today's money having very little value.

Minimum wage in the US was about $1.00 an hour when I got my first job. Now the big push is to make it $10.00.

That's a factor of 10 to 1. So, in captaincranky dollars, 500 million, equals 50 million tops.

So, anyways, an economist and a dinosaur walk into a bar... :p

@davislane1 Companies pay tax after their expenses are factored in. Employees and workers pay taxes before their expenses are factored in.

Back