Ad-Aware finds problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrashdnBurnt

When I scan with Ad-Aware it sees these three problems (in bold red)...

1)Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SecurityCenter\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0

2)Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SecurityCenter\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0

3)Windows Security Center.UpdateDisableNotify
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SecurityCenter\UpdateDisableNotify!=dword:0

Spybot does not pick up on these problems.
I dont know if I should remove these registry items or leave them be.
Help

They're just a few registry entries that tell windows whether to notify you or not of any "problems" with your firewall, AV or updates. set their value to 1 if you want those security center notifications, or 0 if you don't.

Of course, you're probably best setting this from the security center itself.

No need to delete them.

I guess it's just a warning. If a worm or a virus were to disable your firewall or AV, then it would make sense for it to be written to also disable the notification.

However, not everybody wants the notification in the first place, but that said, the only real reason to turn the notification off is if you either wish to avoid automatic updates, or if you use an antivirus or firewall that windows doesn't recognise.

Spybot & Ad-aware (Hell, all such applications) will differ in what they detect as a problem. I'd suggest if you are unsure you wait for updated definitions for Ad-aware & if it still detects them, then let it fix them

no single anti-trojan will pick up all threats. You must use several for effective coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back