TechSpot

Ad-supported Microsoft Office Starter 2010 coming to a PC near you

By Matthew
Oct 8, 2009
  1. Redmond has announced that it plans to allow OEMs to pre-install the complete version of Office 2010 on new computers -- except it will be tweaked to run at a limited capacity. Instead of shipping PCs with the dreaded Microsoft Works or a 60-day trial of Office 2007, new systems will have an ad-supported version of Office 2010.

Read the whole story

2. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,214   +48

What about an option for us computer builders? Those are new computers after all. Why leave us out in the cold?

3. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,197   +171

I wonder how well it will fair against OpenOffice...

4. nazartp

nazartp TS Enthusiast Posts: 178   +12

Not sure. I, personally, have no opinion on OpenOffice since I do not use it. My son, though, went crazy after using it for a couple of weeks and bought himself MS Office student edition. I'd never use a software with advertisement embedded - so, if the price is a factor, it's, probably, OpenOffice for me.

5. Redmond can do whatever they want. I won't be moving back from OpenOffice.

6. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 612

Yikes, I'll stick with Works for that basic stuff... and OpenOffice when I'm not in the mood to deal with BS.

7. I won't be switching back from Open Office whatever they do.

8. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

So far, Open Office doesn't work well with Office 2010 files for spreadsheets, power point, etc. But you can count on Open Office catching up fairly quickly.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.