Adaptec 1420sa and Hitachi T7k250

Status
Not open for further replies.
HITACHI SATA CONFIG UTILITY WONT SEE ADAPTEC 1420sa - HELP !?

Have Adaptec 1420sa 64Bit 66MHZ PCI SATA II Raid controller and Hitachi T7k250 250GB SATA II hard disks. Disks come from Hitachi set to Sata I (150 MBps) by default and you need to use a utility from Hitachi to set them to SATA II 300 MBps.

The problem is Hitachi Utility don't see 1420sa (Even with BIOS enabled).
Hitachi utility is DOS based, Adaptec doesn't make a DOS driver for any of their SATA controllers. (Both adaptec and Hitachi support are pointing the finger at each other)

Controller and drives work fine in Sata 1 but I wan't to get this set up rite before Format and Populate. Anyone run into this ? What harm might I cause if I try to set the drives to Sata II using a SAT I Controller.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

WildBill69

You will cause no harm. There is no SATA II. It is just SATA clocked at higher speeds and it is 100% backwards compatible.

The point of pursuing SATA-300 is another matter though. Your drives do not come even close to filling the 150MB/s bandwidth - the 7k250 can read 757mbit/s from the platters and the maximum sustained transfer rate is ~60MB/s.

No Difference in Performance ?

Does this mean that I won't see any difference in performance or throughput if I change the transfer rate from 1.50 to 3.00 ?

The performance increase will be almost nonexistent unless you run some very special applications that rely heavily on the on-disk cache. DOS anyone? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back