Add Remove Programs does not start when selected in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwingpg

When I select Add Remove Programs in XP from the control panel it does not launch.

Any idea how to fix this problem or is there another way to launch the app?

Cheers,

James

Do you notice any harddrive activity when it should be loading?
Try starting it in safe mode or even a different user account.

No hard drive activity. Does not work in safe mode or using different administrator account.

It is like their is not a path to an executable.

Hmmm...
What type of antivirus software are you running?
Try downloading and running a complete scan with Advanced System Care (for starters) and try again.
Whether it solves the problem or not, it will always benefit your computer, I run it at least once a week.
I look forward to hearing the results.

I personally use AbsoluteUninstaller. Better than Windows A/R because it also removes all traces from the Registry as well.
RevoUninstaller does the same thing.
Both are very good.

You can also try launching Add/Remove Programs by clicking Start->Run, then enter: appwiz.cpl and click OK. (the file is physically located in C:\Windows\system32\appwiz.cpl

but i also agree with Strategic to run a good antivirus check

/* edit *
btw.. did you try strategic's other suggestion also? Try creating a new user account and see if it works for the new user

You can also try launching Add/Remove Programs by clicking Start->Run, then enter: appwiz.cpl and click OK. (the file is physically located in C:\Windows\system32\appwiz.cpl

but i also agree with Strategic to run a good antivirus check

/* edit *
btw.. did you try strategic's other suggestion also? Try creating a new user account and see if it works for the new user

Yes I tried this with the same results.

Hmmm...
What type of antivirus software are you running?
Try downloading and running a complete scan with](for starters) and try again.
Whether it solves the problem or not, it will always benefit your computer, I run it at least once a week.
I look forward to hearing the results.

I am running AVG for my virus program but recently had Antivirus Plus install and I also have the redirect problem.

I will try the recommended scan and see how that goes. I also just finished teh 8 step redirect virus steps.

I am running AVG for my virus program but recently had Antivirus Plus install and I also have the redirect problem..

I don't know how you stumbled upon Antivirus Plus, but if it's the one I'm thinking of.
It could be the beginning of the end of your PC. Antivirus Plus is malware in disguise.
Run Advanced System Care ASAP, but you should also seek help in the virus and malware forum to get rid of it.

Go to your command prompt and type in the following:

control appwiz.cpl

this works in vista/7, also all windows previous to xp so hopefully it works in XP as well!

he did in a different way, this way uses command prompt where he suggests going through the 'run' tool, also this code is different than the one he has provided :p

just tryin to help out

Thanks guys. I installed AbsoluteUninstaller and it will do for what I need.

I had manually removed the Antivirus Plus from the registry and have run the 8 step process as well as a number of other tools. I also ran advanced system care.

I now have the redirector problem fixed. I think, but am concerned about the PC.

Everything appears fine now and no additional problems have popped up. I will do a search in the malware forums and see what I can find there.

Again, thank you!

Glad that Absolute Uninstaller was good for you.Way better than the brain-dead version from Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back