Add/Remove Programs Lagg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Is there a way to rectify a lagg I am receiving whenever I open the add/remove programs in the CP and also the start menu list.

I have duel OS on a partitioned HD Win2k and Win XP.But XP is the one thats giving me a problem. When I open the CP and click add/remove programs it takes almost a minute for the program list to develope. Once its done and I retry later its ok but the first time that day is really slow. Same goes for the start menu. takes ages for the icons to shop up.

Is this because I have SP2 installed or due to a conflict between both systems? Doesnt happen on my other removable HD which has only XP installed.

Thanks

characteristic of windows

It is characteristic of Windows (all versions) that it does take a long time to 'fully' boot up, i.e. become responsive to the user. This is more noticeable with XP because of all the housekeeping it does, and it is more interested in showing something on-screen as soon as possible. This will be worse on slower, older machines, those with lots of things (unnecessarily) starting automatically, those with hundreds of fonts installed, those with badly fragmented drives, those with naughty software that tries to 'phone home' as soon as your PC starts, and takes some time to accept your internet connection is not yet active, and so on and so on.

A full minute would not be very unusual - and note it gets worse as you load more and more rubbish. There are plenty of places on the web where you can get excellent advice on 'how to speed up windows startup'. try googling.

Of course this assumes you are trying to start the menu or cps immediately after windows starts. If you get this symtom well into a session, that's a more serious matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back