TechSpot

Add Slave Hard Drive to new emachines Computer

By brianusa
Jan 8, 2006
  1. Thanks for any help in advance. I have an older emachines computer with a 2.2 Ghz Celeron and 40G hard drive. The motherboard (chip) is no longer working. I would like to add this hard drive to my new emachines AMD Athlon 2.2 (3400+) 200 GB hard drive, as a slave drive. Is this a good idea? Where could I find instructions on how to do this. I have data on that drive, I could erase it or transfer it to the new drive or leave it on that drive, which way would work best ? I will be installing a video capture card soon so I think I would like the extra 40g of drive to just use as video storage to burn DVDs. Thanks for any info you can give me.

2. A_DOG73

A_DOG73 TS Rookie Posts: 170

Yeah, I don't see why not. Just install the drive and make sure you set the drive as slave. Your pc should recognize it as another drive and you should be fine.

3. A_DOG73

A_DOG73 TS Rookie Posts: 170

Oh yeah, um, if you just want to store videos, I suggest storing them on dvd's. It's a lot cheaper. You already have a 200GB hd right? Is that space all used up? Well it's up to you if you want to have 240GB storage on your computer. You can buy like a 50 pack of dvds, each 4gb's, for like 20 or 30 bucks and that will let you store like 200gbs!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.