Maxone hard drive clicking and not working

I have a 2 TB Maxone external hard drive that I've been using for about 2 years. I use it to store my game files since my computer has terrible storage space. I was updating a game on Steam when Steam randomly closed and wouldn't open again. Not an uncommon occurrence, but when I attempted to restart it wouldn't finish. I had to manually restart and when it rebooted, my hard drive wasn't registering and there was a clicking noise coming from the hard drive itself. The computer registers something being plugged in and the hard drive runs (blue light showing it), but the files come up and there's that concerning ticking sound. The noise only occurs when plugged in (most likely because it doesn't have its own power supply). I have a spare drive and it seems to be working fine, but I haven't done a sync with them so all the files are on the other one. I have no idea what's causing this, I could really use some advice.
Also for reference, I have a Predator Helios 300 computer.

It sounds like the "Click of Death" to me. Google/YouTube it. I suspect you are going to have to make a tough/costly decision: Replace the drive and lose the data on it, or spend thousands of dollars to have a professional company *attempt* to retrieve the data on the drive.

Good luck

It sounds like the "Click of Death" to me. Google/YouTube it. I suspect you are going to have to make a tough/costly decision: Replace the drive and lose the data on it, or spend thousands of dollars to have a professional company *attempt* to retrieve the data on the drive.

Good luck
Just looked it up and yikes! Guess I dodged a bullet since all the stuff on it is recoverable on the cloud. Thanks for letting me know!

Back