Add users to domain controller server

By bigwat
Feb 9, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. My server is a domain controller thus i cannot add users with admin rights and so i cannot use lusrmgr.msc to add or change... i've added the user i want =active directory>users> and added the user and set it to admin..but when loged onto does not have the admin rights... learned that this was becuiase it was a domain controller
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,278   +280

Correct, the DC admin has the keys to the kingdom and can create a user-id with/without admin privs.

Unless the admin is your very best friend, I would expect exactly what you are reporting.
  3. wrt54gs7

wrt54gs7 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 131

Administrators group is a local group. Domain Administrators group is for the entire domain.
  4. bigwat

bigwat TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 105

Please forgive the ignorance but i dont understand what your'e saying..
  5. jobeard

Highly recommend you purchase MS books on Microsoft Server (whatever version you are using: 2000, 2003, 2008)
  6. bigwat

7. bigwat

Another thing....hope am not a bother but we are here to learn and help one another...

ah we have a software and we have to share it from the server and then create shortcuts on each client so that the user can use it is there any other way we can add the shortcuts than doing it manually

i.e. network places>entire network>domain> sever>shared software> adding shortcut to desktop...
  8. jobeard

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.