TechSpot

Added RAM won't show up in System Info

By tunitune
Jul 1, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi Everyone,

I am not the most computer savvy (about a 2 from a 1 to 10 scale)... My computer was starting to overheat and was quite slow so I added 512 MB of RAM to it (and left another 256MB in there...) yet my system shows the same info, as though I have never installed that additional memory. I double checked to ensure that it was properly installed and it appeared to be so. I have noticed that my computer is better but just want to know if there is any way to see the added Memory. My computer is a Sony Vaio PCG-FRV31. Any info/help would be truly appreciated!
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Click on Start-->Control Panel-->System

In the General Tab, it will show you how much Ram you have installed

You can also get to System by right clicking on "My Computer" and selecting properties.

You can also check your Ram amount by opening any folder (ie My Documents) and select "Help" on the toolbar then select "About Windows"

You can also hit Ctrl + Alt + Del on the keyboard (at the same time) then select Performance.

MS has made many ways ! (there are still more, but the above is the general area to check.)
  3. tunitune

tunitune TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you but I have been able to find the RAM amount in the System info but the amount of RAM did not change despite my adding quite a bit to it. Basically, the RAM info stayed the same.
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Not all Ram is compatible with all systems

But try this anyway

Remove the original Ram (256Meg)
    Insert the new 512Meg of Ram, in the same place the 256 was
    Boot up
    Windows should state 512Meg installed

Then plug the 256Meg into the next spot (of course with computer off again)
    Boot up
    Windows should state ~768Meg installed (approx)

If your computer doesn't start with just the new Ram installed, I'd say it is incompatible. (or defective)
  5. tunitune

tunitune TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you I will try that shortly and let you know how it works out!

Thanks!
  6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.