TechSpot

Adding a network connection as a system service

By Perplexer
Feb 2, 2003
  1. I am using a Windows XP Pro PC as a server/router in my LAN setup. I have an ADSL connection which requires a username and password. I created the appropriate network connection (profile). I know how to put it in the Start Up folder but that means that some user (admin) would have to log-in every time after a reboot. Is there a way to make that network connection profile a system service which would start-up automatically after the PC rebooted without any user having to log-in ? Thanks.

2. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Posts: 645

No, I don't think so. You could have it auto-login for you, but that's probably not what you are looking for. You also would have been much better off installing Windows 2000 Advanced Server, or better yet, a Linux OS to run as your server...

3. Perplexer

Perplexer TS Rookie Topic Starter

Mmm, isn't WinXP a successor to Win2000 and is the latest MS OS featuring networking abilities ? How come it can't do what Linux could for years ? And Win2000 has INSTSRV.EXE and SRVANY.EXE for creating custom services. XP doesn't. Just seems so weird. Thanks for your answer though !

4. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Posts: 645

Yes, WinXP is the newest, however I've never heard of anyone using it as a server, which there must be a reason for. I'm sure that my buddy Phantasm66 will post the thousands of differences and holes in XP's Server over 2000's. :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.