Adding a router behind a switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragebflame

Hi,
I have recently moved into an apartment which has broadband pre installed. Basically what i want to do is use my router so that i will have wifi throughout the house. I am wondering how i should configure my router.

The plug in the wall is an rj45 so i have an rj11 cable running from that to the dsl input of the router. My laptop sees the router fine but it wont connect to the net. I believe it is a configuration issue with the router (which is an netopia 3347wg).

I am lost tbh, and its quite hard to explain in a post. I can try and explain further if ye dont get me :).

regards,
Dan.

Hi
on the assumption that the socket in the wall is fed from a communal router, then to
go wireless you need a wireless access point, this is like a standard hub but has wireless capability.

have a look in your router config page and see if there is anything about "wireless bridging" if there is then this will work.

Or if the port in the wall is comming from a switch which was fed by a router, the router you have now can be used as a brdige. Simply shut off DHCP on your router and connect the wall port to your LAN port of the router, not the WAN port. If you can open a command prompt and type ipconfig, get the ip address then use that as your routers IP. If this works then you can set up wireless connection in your appartment

The plug in the wall is an rj45 so i have an rj11 cable running from that to the dsl input of the router
can't be. If the wallplate is RJ45, that is incompatible with RJ11. If your router has a DSL RJ11, then it's a modem and not a router.

Take the RJ45 from the wall and plug it into a LAN port on your router. Disable the DHCP
service in the router and it will act as an access point :)

sheez; so what -- if it doesn't work then why mention it? not very helpful :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back