Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i have the following config:
    abit an8sli
    athlon 64 3500+
    1gb ram
    wd sata 250gb (master) with windows
    seagate ide 120gb (master) no os
    seagate ide 40gb (slave) no os (soon to be linux)

i have just added a third ide drive (40gb) an windows boot-up takes a long time. the first windows xp pro logo goes by really fast, lot faster than before the third drive was added. but after the windows welcome screen i can see my desktop load and then it just stands there for like 2 minutes, i can't open anything. if i open my computer i can't see any of the drives i get the rotating flashlight as if it is searching for something.

the first time it happened i thought it's normal, it's probably installing the new hardware. but after it completed and the disk was succesfully installed, i can use it and everything, i rebooted and got the same problem. after the welcome screen i have to wait for like 2 minutes to be able to work.

what could be the cause to this? it's a new disk, i used it before on another computer and it works normally.

2. vlatko

vlatko TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 30

if i unplug the new disk windows boots up normally as before.ok

now the strange part. if the new disk is connected again i get the slow boot up. however if i disable my local area connection and reboot windows boots up normally!! how can that be? what does the local area connection have to do with the new added disk? i can't disable my local are connection cause i use pppoe and i need to connect to the net.

3. vlatko

it's not a faulty ide cable as well. i have just tried some switching and replacing the whole cable as well.

4. vlatko

this is so strange... it's definetly not the cable, or the disks. i just unplugged my 120gb ide disk and left only the sata(windows) and the newly added 40gb ide disk. i get my usual fast boot-up in windows xp.

what is wrong? why can't both ide drives work together? does that make any sense?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.