Adding an ADSL connection as a service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

Usually I look for answers to my questions on the www, but this time I really could not find the info anywhere.

Here's my problem:

I have a small webserver running on Win2k with a 1mbps ADSL connection as my pipe. Everything runs fine (www, ftp, mail, terminal services, DNS etc...) there's just one little thing that keeps on bugging me (a lot). I sometimes administer my computer from work when it's quiet with M$ Terminal Services (updates, install/remove programs, you know, the stuff I would rather not do when I'm physically in front of my machine, in a way, I get paid good money to administer my home server :D ). The BIG problem is that I sometimes need to reboot. Rebooting itself is not the problem. I start getting problems when I try to login after a reboot;) . You see, my ADSL connection requires a user/pass to connect. I installed the RASPPPoE protocol and unchecked the "prompt for usr/pass" checkbox in the options, but that does not solve my problem. I need www connectivity when I boot the machine, not when I login.

Basically, there just has to be a way to startup my ADSL connection as a system service... I hope... or else I'll have to get a cable modem and the only provider available here just plain sucks... :(

Please help...

Well I'm not sure about doing it that way, but I do know of a way you can do it in another way.

Go to your Network Connections and right-click on the DSL connection. Click Options and uncheck the options "Prompt for name and password" and "Prompt for phone number". This makes it so that when you click on your DSL connection it will automatically login without having to press ok even though your username/password is already in.

Now all you have to do is place the DSL connection in Programs/Startup. Once you restart your computer, the DSL connection will dial automatically when Windows is starting up.

I do this myself and it works fine.

I already did that, but it still does not solve my problem. If I were running Win98, ME or even XP (if you set it up so it does not prompt you for a login) it would be fine. You see, the startup folder does not startup untill you login... and to login remotely, I need to be live on the www, so putting a shortcut to my connection in my startup folder won't help me.

Thanks for the reply though.

Acid you didnt understand the problem at all

he told he has tried to uncheck the stuff but thats not the problem

clearly

argnom wants the connection to start as a system service BEFORE the logon !!!! not in the startup menu !!

I know there is some MS tool that simply allows you to start any EXE or program as a system service, search about that in MSDN online, Some colleages have successfully done this numerous times. I dont know whether it's possible with a connection which is not a program itself.

You can also use a router configuration (what i have at home), so rebooting the web server won't reset the connection at all ...

I'm having the same issue. Has anyone come up with a solution to this? I am able to setup services (I use the IPC daemon in Cygwin), but I don't know of an EXE that will run the PPPoE connection...any suggestions?

Thanks

Have you found a resolution to your problem?

I am having the same problem in win 2000 adv server.

Originally posted by Argnom
I already did that, but it still does not solve my problem. If I were running Win98, ME or even XP (if you set it up so it does not prompt you for a login) it would be fine. You see, the startup folder does not startup untill you login... and to login remotely, I need to be live on the www, so putting a shortcut to my connection in my startup folder won't help me.

Thanks for the reply though.

Hope someone has a solution.

Thanks
JCSOUSA:(

Command line solution

I have been looking to start ADSL as a service for a long time.
I finally have found my solution but not ADSL as a service. However I think it is much easier.

1. Create new *.bat (ex. Ras.bat)
2. Type these in
Rasdial [DialUpNameYouHaveCreate] [Username] [Password]
3. Save it
4. Start Task Schedule
5. Add new task
6. Select the newly created *.bat
7. Select when my computer starts

That's it. Hope this help.

Explaination
Schedule task to run *.bat file

ADSLautoConnect + the NoIP client should cover all your needs.

The 1st program automatically creates a connection once the OS is booted & recreates the connection if it would ever happen to get closed (IP lease for example) & the 2nd program updates a virtual adress (http://techspot.no-ip.org for example) with the machine's IP every time a new connection to the Internet has been made.

*edit* Adslautoconnect is by default in French. Once installed, go to the installed folder in which you'll find a lang sub-folder. Go in there & rename res.dll to something like res.backup.dll & rename res_eng.dll to res.dll. Restart the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back