Adding larger hard drive.

By thewolfe
May 29, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adding larger hard drive.

Is there a way to tell whether a larger hard drive (20GB) can replace any smaller hard drive on an older (Pent I) computer.

I don't have any particulars because this is a general question.
  2. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

It depends on the motherboard.....chances are you may not be able to do so. Older BIOS in systems bulit around 96 to 97 tend to have a limit of support for HDD up to 8GB. Its not worthwhile fitting a 20GB into a Pent 1, might as well salvage a 8Gb from other non workable workstations.
  3. DigitAlex

DigitAlex TechSpot Paladin Posts: 583

You have to make at least 2 partitions on your HDD and the bootable one must be less than 8 GB. The BIOS will recognize it and boot, the OS will then let you access the other disk space.

I have a P 166 32 Mb RAM with an old AT mobo which has a 40 GB Maxtor 7200 RPM HDD in it and works fine, even with multiboot :)
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,409   +281

couldn't he get an IDE controller card if his mobo's bios doesn't support sizes that large. I thought this could work because the IDE controller card has its own bios on it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.