TechSpot

Adding more drives

By giyad
Apr 14, 2009
  1. I'm thinking of expanding my box to add another 2TB's internally. I currently have an Antec P180 with a WD Raptor 150GB, and 2 x 1TB WD Caviars set up in a RAID mirror. So what I want to do is expand that RAID mirror to 2TB's.

The first question is, I have a Seasonic S12 Energy Plus 550W UL ATX12V v2.0 Power Supply, so would that be sufficient enough for all these drives that I have? My motherboard is the nforce 680i sli and CPU is the Intel E6600.

Also, is my cooling sufficient? I have the cases fans on and I also purchased a Arctic Freezer 7Pro fan which is on the processor.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks :)

2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,055   +970

Adequacy of the PSU would depend on what you have as a video card. The Q6600 is fairly high draw, (125 watts), but the 2 additional drives would be only about 50 watt. Your Seasonic PSU will likely deliver all the power on the label.

You can get a pretty good handle on your PSU needs with Antec's PSU calculator; http://www.antec.outervision.com/

3. giyad

giyad TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 146

ah, sorry i forgot to mention the video card its the XFX GeForce 7950GT

thanks ill check out that psu calculator

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.