Adding more memory

pete2444

Hello I'd like to add more memory to make my computer go faster. I'm not sure how much to add or what to get. I have a Compaq Presario SR1960AN abd it has 1024meg. Thanks

This should answer any and all questions you have: http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Presario SR1960AN If your in the US, navigate to crucial.com and use the memory advisor tool from there.

I recommend you remove your towers cover and confirm that you have 4 slots, and that two are free currently though, because it states it comes with 512MB, and your saying it has 1GB. It might have all 4 used already.

I agree with Leeky, I would wager it has 4 256MB chips as they were cheaper than 512MB chips.
I had a lot of friends who bought Dimension 2400 with 256MB RAM and thought hey got a bargain. They contained 2 at 128MB and there where only two slots, so to improve their performance to livable they had to toss the two 128MB chipcs and go with two 512MB chips to max the el-cheapo out.

I do agree that your system could and can handle more RAM, the question is which RAM? Do you have DDR2 533 or 667? If you have 2 sticks of 256MB each at 533MHz, then it strikes me as more effective to go to 2 1GB sticks of DDR2 667 than to retain the older slower ones. If you dso luck out and have the faster RAM, then 1 or 2 sticks of 667 will work fine as this board doesn't seem to be dual channel anyway.

BTW slamming in extra RAM of either speed will help just not as much as simply replacing older slower with faster RAM.

Thats why I supplied the link to the RAM from Crucial, for the OP's system. It answers all of those questions.

According to them it is dual channel as well.

ok thanks for your advice. I have two slots of 512 at the moment and there are two slots free, Its DDR2. The link shows that it can handle 4096.

Back