Adding more RAM than hardware limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skoberlink

Hey guys I just got an old powerbook 1400cs that I got for free after an electronics recycling drive. I'm looking to upgrade it to make it a decent work computer (doesn't need to do much and I'm not expecting much as old as it is). I want to upgrade to the maximum 64MB memory. If you don't know, the PB 1400cs comes with 16MB stock and has room for two expansions I have one expansion card already (came with the laptop). The total memory is 48MB which means the one expansion is 32MB. The only expansion card I could find is a 24MB one. This 64MB limit seems to be universally true amongst all PB1400cs owners (based on the upgrade guides that I've seen) meaning it's hardware based and is probably not mac understating the computer's capabilities which has been known to happen.

So adding the 24MB puts me at a total of 72MB so obviously the computer will not recognize the parts that are over the 72MB. However will the 16MB that reaches the maximum 64MB be recognized? Or is the whole card ignored? Will having that extra memory damage my computer? Also what are the chances that the 72MB will be recognized and work?

Hit or Stand........It's Like Blackjack...........

First there are only a few people here that might actually might know the answer to this question. I should be one of them, but regrettably I'm not.

In most cases excess memory is ignored by a computer, at least the more modern ones that we're accustomed to dealing with. 32 bit OSes ignore anything above 3 GBs when the usual max capacity of 4GB is installed. However, some boards rebel and won't boot.
If I were in your position, I would simply be grateful, (and quite amazed), that the damned thing worked at all, and as they say in Blackjack, stand pat. This is my voodoo paranoia stance, I have no facts to substantiate it. Maybe someone else does.

I think it might work, but you'll see only 64 MB of memory. There is a chance it will damage something, but I haven't had that experience with old PCs when I've tried too big memory modules in them. They'd just recognize half or none of the added memory.

Check out the upgrades for 1400 here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back