Adding second HDD - IDE cable advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timtrash

Hi

I have a Dell Dimension 300 desktop and I want to install a second, larger (probably 250GB) hard drive. I need some advice regarding the IDE cables though, as I'm still pretty new to messing around inside the tower itself. I installed a DVD rewriter some months ago using the spare IDE connection on the IDE ribbon going to the existing CD rewriter. I don't have a spare IDE connecter on the lead from the motherboard to the existing hard drive. Just wondering what my options are. My own thoughts are:

1) Get a new IDE cable with two ports, and run this from the motherboard to the existing HDD as well as the new HDD. I would also need to buy a new cage/cradle to hold the new HDD. Not sure if the cage sizes come as standard or where to get one from.

2) Disconnect the old CD writer (my DVD rewriter does CDs too) and connect the spare IDE connecter to the new HDD. If this is best, how would I secure the new HDD in the space where the CD writer was and would it fit in there?

3) Swap the IDE cables over, so the one with two ports connects motherboard to 2 HDDs, and the one with a single port connects motherboard to DVD rewriter. My only worry with this is that the IDE ribbons do say on them "Hard Disc Drive" and "Other Drives". I wasn't sure if they are interchangeable or if this will blow my PC up!

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks very much

1) Get a new IDE cable with two ports, and run this from the motherboard to the existing HDD as well as the new HDD. I would also need to buy a new cage/cradle to hold the new HDD. Not sure if the cage sizes come as standard or where to get one from. would fine.

3) Swap the IDE cables over, so the one with two ports connects motherboard to 2 HDDs, and the one with a single port connects motherboard to DVD rewriter. My only worry with this is that the IDE ribbons do say on them "Hard Disc Drive" and "Other Drives". I wasn't sure if they are interchangeable or if this will blow my PC up!

either way would be fine, but I would suggest the new cable then u could have all 4 drives, but 3 should do fine.

Any advice regarding a HDD cage?

Thanks for that - I'll get the extra cable. To assist me in buying one, am I right that IDE might also be referred to as PATA? Do you have any advice regarding a cage for the new HDD. The original 70GB HDD is in a cage but it looks like there is space to screw another cage in next to it - I haven't had any luck finding one on ebuyer though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back