Additional Cooling for OCZ Reaper? Mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeps1987

Hey,
i have 4GB of OCZ Reaper 8500 1066Mhz RAM, (X2 Dual Channel) the RAM seems to get really hot, and as the rest of my system is water cooled, it doesn't have too many fans.

A Triple 120mm Radiator at the front, which also blows air into the case
A 120mm exhaust fan at the back
A 90mm exhaust fan at the back
the power supply exhaust

i was wondering how i could cool the RAM, the RAM coolers available wont fit my RAM will they?
here is a pic, for illustration, so you know what the RAM looks like

Are they any mod's etc i could do,to cool my RAM?

any suggestions welcome

Thanks

Specs:
Intel Quad Core Q6600 G0 Stepping @ 3.96Ghz (water cooled)
ASUS Blitz Formular (Watercooled Northbridge)
OCZ Reaper 8500 1066Mhz 4GB kit, Dual Channel
OCZ GameStream 1010Watt PSU
ATI Radeon Sapphire X2900 Pro 1GB (GDDR4) (EK Waterblock)
Thermaltake Kandolf LCS Case

yeah iv thought about putting a 120mm case fan, on the side window, but how would i cut out the hole perfectly? because if i don't to it right, you'll be able to see the crap cutting.
i was thinking of taking it to my old college, and use the laser cutter, but I'm not sure if they'll let me.

hmm, iv thought about water cooling them, but that means i have to open them, and void the warranty, which id rather not, as they come with a life time warranty, and iv already had a set fail on me.

i was thinking 120mm, as it would spin as slow speed, be really quiet, and provide extra circulation for the rest of my case, plus it would look cool lol, a little 80mm one would look odd, seeing as this case is HUGE.
With the 120mm, would i still need to duct the air?

Probably not.

Edited =

You can hook up the fan inside, blowing the warm air pass through the reaper, without sacrificing the case's look.

yeah iv thought about that before, but with the fan in the window, it would also provide additional cooling to other components.

so I'm stuck with two choices, a 80mm fan blowing air onto the RAM from inside the case, but wont cool anything else
or
a 120mm fan blowing air onto the RAM plus everything else, but i dont know how to cut out a perfect hole, plus i need a dust filter

any idea on how to cut out a perfect hole?
where can i get a dust filter for this?

thanks, was looking for something like that. Have you seen a guide for cutting into plastic though?
and any idea where i can get a decent dust filter? would fine mesh work?

Holesaw should be fine for plastic, but go for slower speed, it is easy to melt on wrong direction.

The dust filter can be custom made, or you can pick it up from newegg.com

hmm, what would i need to make the dust filter, material wise?
because iv seen some ready made ones, but they look crap lol with a horrible grill and a black dust filter. My case is silver, it'd look odd

thanks for all your help so far mate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back