TechSpot

Administrative Password for XP in Recovery Console

By mcfly1021
Jan 17, 2009
  1. My computer crashed this morning.

It is a Sony Vaio that, when purchased 4 years ago, already had Windows XP Home Edition as its software. When I tried to start up Windows, it had an error message that stated

"c:\windows\system32\config\system."

I went through numerous amounts of Windows and other helping computer websites and I eventually replaced some of the damaged system32 files with some from the recovery folder. I did this using the recovery console (pressing R to help recover). I was sent to a 'c:\>' prompt where I did most of the routing.

After that happened, a new error appeared when I tried to open my computer in Safe Mode. It would load some of the necessary files, and would stop at

"xxxxxxxxxxxx:windows\system32\drivers\agp440.sys"

and edger to get this problem fixed, I returned to the recovery console and now it is asking for an administrative password. It did not ask me for this password 3 hours ago when I was working in recovery mode.

I tried entering no password, but I get an error message that says "invalid password, please re-enter."

I have been the soul owner of this computer and I have never set an administrative password. Can you please help me get passed this password so I can continue to try to return my computer to it's old status? Thank you so much for any help.

2. nobardin

nobardin TS Rookie Posts: 256

I can't say for sure, but a few you could try would be:

admin

administrator

password

If none of thoes work then you may need to reinstall windows and start from scratch.

Hope this helps.

3. mcfly1021

mcfly1021 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks,

I tried all of those passwords, but none of them worked.

I have been wanting to reinstall windows, but I have no recovery disc/boot disc.
    Apparently everyone threw theirs away or something...

Any help on that front?

4. wrapmyride

wrapmyride TS Rookie

You can use boot up disk to remove the password. I use Spotmau software and it works. Here is the link:http://www.windowsbootcd.com/

5. brucethetech

brucethetech TS Enthusiast Posts: 229

i use ophcrack you can download it from sourceforge.net. Also try using the password you use to log into the computer. (may sound stupid but there is a really nerdy answer why this may work)

6. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

7. mcfly1021

mcfly1021 TS Rookie Topic Starter

A lot of those websites could help if I could somehow get to a command prompt or logged onto the system at all. I cannot do anything about it.

I am resorting to getting a boot disc. My question is cd050303.zip a reliable XP boot disc? I read some of the links and this seems a reasonable resort to burn this .zip file to a disc so I can do ANYTHING!

Thanks again for all the help.

8. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

I already posted that above (2nd link)
    Except cd050303.zip came out 2005 (and is old)
    The newest version is cd080802.zip

So therefore cd050303.zip is not a reliable XP boot disc

By the way, my first link supplied, with the "Live Boot Disc" is the best option
    I suspect you didn't check, seeming you asked about an old version from somewhere :confused:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.