TechSpot

Adobe: Flash Player 10.2 to be 10 times more efficient

By Emil
Dec 16, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Adobe has come out and made some stunning claims about the recently announced Flash 10.2, which is currently in beta. The new version is 10 times more efficient in CPU usage compared to version 10.1 of the plug-in, which is when Flash first got GPU acceleration.

Read the whole story

2. kakarlus

kakarlus TS Rookie

good news

3. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Enthusiast Posts: 417   +40

Awesome... glad to see Adobe on the ball with this. I look forward to trying it out.

4. Jeybyrd

Jeybyrd TS Rookie

Ok.

Now how about a version of flash that's fully operational on 64-bit browsers.

5. Emil

Emil TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 154

6. will adobe fix multiple monitor issue where you can keep a full screen video active whilst working on another screen?

7. but how does this translate into a gain for the end user if flash offloads resource usage elsewhere instead of reducing it overall?

8. How about they just optimize the bloody decoding code instead? If CoreAVC can do it, so can they!
    Think about those poor computers that don't have hardware acceleration!
    A netbook can play 720p fine with CoreAVC, yet struggles even with the lowest 480p in flash.

9. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

It's good that Adobe continues to improve Flash although I have yet to notice any marked improvement in viewing web video whether on my laptop with motherboard graphics or my desktop with discrete Nvidia graphics. Part of the reason could be the limited bandwith of my 1-Mbps DSL line.

10. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 989   +31

I was happy when I saw the title, but disappointed when I read this referred to video only. Flash games and applications can be huge CPU hogs, and it would be nice if they got some acceleration too.

11. edison5do

edison5do TS Rookie Posts: 239

Nice, nice Youtube gets speeded up by the gpu, I hope site like GameSpot & Gametrailers get this update fast enough.

12. cuz the GPU is much more efficient at video decode & rendering than the CPU

13. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

What does this mean for users (like me) with low-end video cards, like GF 5200s? Will Flash still function as before after the newer versions offload to the GPU, or will my system grind to a stuttering halt?

14. satty

satty TS Rookie Posts: 27

This is good news. Flash is the most annoying part in the web for me.

15. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,647   +323

Thought that was addressed in the last version.

Should function the same (no gpu decoding) as before.

16. Adobe is shaking in their boots because of html5 .. and because internet explorer 9 will utilize the gpu my feeling is adobe is afraid they are gonna be run clear out of business .. well what with everyone having copies of their software they sell being torrented around the planet and any person that is actually a programmer will hardly pay the unholy prices they want for that crap-ware .. hell I hope they fail! but that's just me!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.