TechSpot

Adobe flash player makes my Internet crash (sometimes whole computer) during games

By kpinaz
Sep 10, 2009
  1. Older versions seem to cause less crashing, but it is not very convenient to have really old versions, as they do not work for a lot of newer things. I am wondering if I accidentally erased something on my hard drive that is necessary for it to run properly. I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, virus and spyware checks, but I believe the problem is that something that shouldn;t have got deleted did. Is there a way to check?
    Using Windows XP

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,076   +169

Have you made sure that all the critical Windows Updates have been installed, including XP, Service Pack 3?

3. kpinaz

kpinaz TS Rookie Topic Starter

how do I check?

4. kpinaz

I have it set for automatic updates...

5. kpinaz

It shows I have that- XP 2002, Service Pack 3

6. Tmagic650

Select Windows Updates in the All Programs list. Select "Custom" and choose to download and install all critical and hardware updates in the lists. You will be surprized at just how many updates are left in the list

7. kpinaz

Trying to do this now. Got this error signature:
    szAppName : svchost.exe szAppVer : 5010260025512 szModName : wuaueng.dll
    szModVer : 7.2.6001.788 offset : 000d2252

C:\DOCUME~1\KRISTI~1\Temp\WER8512.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\KRISTI~1\Temp\WER8512.dir00\appcompat.txt

8. kpinaz

That was when ActiveX was trying to install on IE. This causes problems for me too.

9. kpinaz

Still searching for updates... looks like it almost converted to safe mode, but then went back...

10. Tmagic650

11. kpinaz

Thank you! I will try this, and post. Also, it is still searching for the latest updates for my computer... does it normally take this long?

12. Tmagic650

The search for updates depend on the speed of your Internet connection and the first search usually is the longest... Could take 10 to 20 minutes

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.