Adobe launches GPU-accelerated Flash 10.1 beta

By Jos
Nov 17, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adobe today announced the first public beta of Flash 10.1, which despite the small version bump suggesting it is a minor upgrade, finally delivers support for hardware-based H.264 video acceleration. For now the new functionality is limited to Windows computers, but it's worth getting excited over anyway, as it means you'll get smooth HD Flash video playback while significantly reducing the workload on the CPU.

Read the whole story
  2. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 864   +127

Can someone explain what the percentages mean :)
  3. MaXtor

MaXtor Newcomer, in training Posts: 90

It says "Windowed Average CPU Utilization", so the percentages are comparing the average CPU usage between Flash 10 and Flash 10.1.
  4. pcnthuziast

pcnthuziast Newcomer, in training Posts: 313

Pretty impressive!
  5. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903   +71

This is one of the more significant features that Flash has brought to me in a while. My little Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz can now suffer through a longer service life! This poor little office computer just can't find any excuses for why it should be replaced. Thanks Adobe!
  6. freedomthinker

freedomthinker TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 140

This is seriously awesome !
  7. Its about freaking time!!
  8. Just tested it on facebook games, and it freaking much quicker and smoother.
  9. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 564   +30

Oh my goodness! Adobe finally smartens up with gpu accelerated flash! I always found it odd playing gpu intensive video games over high speed internet with no problems while watching videos (or playing games) on any flash based site would stutter.
  10. This is quite a good update for Adobe to update their Flash Player. The only thing that they should focus now is 64 Bit browser support.
  11. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

About time. I hope to see a lot more off loading in the future, especially with direct x 11 support.
  12. DJ83

DJ83 Newcomer, in training Posts: 32

Great new, I agree that a 64bit release is long overdue!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.