Adobe responds to iPad's lack of Flash, Fujitsu consulting lawyers over iPad name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Just like the iPhone and iPod Touch, Apple's iPad doesn't support Flash, and Adobe isn't thrilled about it. The company offered a statement to Gizmodo, saying that Apple is continuing to impose restrictions on its devices that limit both content publishers and consumers.

"Unlike many other ebook readers using the ePub file format, consumers will not be able to access ePub content with Apple's DRM technology on devices made by other manufacturers. And without Flash support, iPad users will not be able to access the full range of web content, including over 70% of games and 75% of video on the web," Adobe said.

Many popular services online rely on Flash including Hulu, Miniclip, Farmville, ESPN, Kongregate, and JibJab. Apple has its reasons for barring Flash, of course: it's resource intensive, and it opens the door for additional security risks. The tradeoff of excluding Flash is debatable, but it seems Apple won't budge any time soon.

In somewhat related news, Fujitsu says it owns the "iPad" name. The company sold an iPad handset in 2002, filed for a trademark in 2003, and said it is consulting lawyers over the matter. The situation resembles the dispute between Apple and Cisco over the iPhone name a few years ago. The companies negotiated a settlement in that case.

Permalink to story.

That damn MadTV sketch scarred me for life, every time I hear iPad it comes to mind. At least it has one pro firewall lol.

Apple finds another untapped market segment: people who want an eBook reader but actually don't want to read. not impressed. - elise pipu, UK -

I hope fujitsu rakes 'em over the coals. I'm so sick of all the i this i that from crapple. And to their defense maybe they can come up with a flash alternative so Adobe flash doesn't have so much of a monopoly (still angry about the long time lack of gpu support). <Yeah I'm angry today ;) >

apple will just buy the name from Fujitsu, like the corporate pigs they are.

Guest said:
apple will just buy the name from Fujitsu, like the corporate pigs they are.

Yeah, why not? They fought over Cisco for the rights to use the iPhone name... Typical Apple.

With the launch of the iPad tablet, Apple has managed to become the ultimate digital go-between company for high quality and high price content in a small yet very affluent segment of the population ... NQ Logic encourages you to check out why Apple's iPad is the final digital puzzle for their ultimate connected consumer strategy at www.nqlogic.com

With GPU enabled flash support available now, i do see this as a major oversight on apples part, and one of my biggest annoyances with them.

What!!! It iPad does not support flash?!!! It comes me into suspicion that it is more of a mobile phone than a computer. Most mobile phones cannot play flash for which I think most recent devices must be able to since flash is almost a commodity not only in the web but also on most applications. How would the user play flash games (esp. farmville) and watch flash videos in iPad if it doesn't have the flash support?!...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back