TechSpot

Adobe warns of Flash vulnerability, Mozilla promotes HTML5

By Matthew
Mar 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Adobe has warned of a critical vulnerability in Adobe Flash Player that affects a vast majority of users. The flaw (CVE-2011-0609) has been exploited in the wild and allows an attacker to gain control of a machine by embedding a malicious Flash SWF file in a Microsoft Excel XLS file. Adobe reports that the XLS file is being distributed via email, so you should be fine as long as you don't open any suspicious documents.

Read the whole story

2. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,337   +103

Well if it doesnt work on 7 I just felt a bit safer =)

3. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 616

Of course HTML5 is the future, but if major websites like YouTube, Facebook and Google doesn't start to take advantage of what the new DocType has to offer, then Flash will rule supreme and crash browsers like never before still.

And not to mention W3C's disapproval of launching the HTML5-standard...

As for the bug, some hacker will probably take advantage of Adobe's "We think a critical security-update is too much too soon"-mentality and swipe some info while they (flash-users) are unguarded.

No offense, Adobe.

4. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Wonder how they sell people on opening the Excel file?

See Bernie Madoff's REAL books.

Take a look at what Goldman Sachs DIDN'T want you to see.

Why Wikileaks needs 32 million a year to keep going!

Open attached file and find out!

5. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Enthusiast Posts: 410   +38

Damn it Adobe... ok... rant time. This is a bit unrelated, but I gotta sound off here.

Why keep releasing updates to your Flash player so often that (as far as I can tell) are not backwards compatible? An update comes out, several websites update their sites to the new version, then we have to download a new client because it won't play the video. Really annoying!!!

Don't get me wrong, i'm glad you helped pushed Flash to kill QuickTime and Real.... both of which had horrible players and not that impressive codecs... but this constant updating and having to upgrade is getting annoying. You gotta find some way to smooth this process out.

6. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

And dont foget the use of "Super" "Ultimate" "Cool" and lets not forget Pron.xls :p wich its like the 99.9% source or work for us technicians that fix users PC's from spoof propaganda and malware; and the reason i use my own apps whit audio/video icons :)

7. HTML5? That made me laugh.
    We can't even decide whether to use H264 or VP8! Plugin prison? Is HTML5 so different? It looks like, at the moment, we're going to end up with two formats. Either all browsers will be able to play both via plugins, or each video will be needed to be encoded in both formats.
    Go HTML5! Really.

8. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,686   +60

Adobe and java always seem to have holes for hackers.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.